• Register Today It's free!

Send directions via bluetooth

zaidi975

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hi IVT team,
I was wondering, can I send direction ( or address ) to Myford touch navigation though bluetooth. I know my phone (galaxy S2) can share locadion address via BT but it is not working with MFT. If not are there any plans to do so. I live in Canada :ca: and since we don't have sync services such option will be helpfull.
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if i understand your question correctly... you pull directions from some phone app (Google Maps, MapQuest etc. and want to send directions to your nav system?

Only way i know of to SEND directions to your Nav is via the following:
1. Get directions from a laptop/desktop version of Google/MapQ and 'send' to your sync account. Once done, when in car, call 'Services' and it will download directions to your Nav system... this solution DOES NOT WORK for phone apps as Google and MapQ have removed the functionality from their mobile apps. So this doesn't do anything for your phone solution

2. iPhone has the new Sync Destinations app. That app USED to be next to useless and universally hated. The new version is getting great reviews. THAT app will let you pull up directions and send to your sync account as is done above. The Android version of that app is due out in a few months.

Others chime in if I'm off base here.

Also i just realized that you are up North in Can.... No Sync there? Hmmm ... not sure if any of this is helpful sorry

Thanks RJT. yes unfortunately we don't have sync services here in Canada so I am looking for a work around besides I don't see why not develope such option. it is more convenient even if you have sync service.

You could turn on blue tooth audio streaming and use the phone for navigation maybe. Not the best solution, but an option nonetheless.

if i understand your question correctly... you pull directions from some phone app (Google Maps, MapQuest etc. and want to send directions to your nav system?

Only way i know of to SEND directions to your Nav is via the following:
1. Get directions from a laptop/desktop version of Google/MapQ and 'send' to your sync account. Once done, when in car, call 'Services' and it will download directions to your Nav system... this solution DOES NOT WORK for phone apps as Google and MapQ have removed the functionality from their mobile apps. So this doesn't do anything for your phone solution

2. iPhone has the new Sync Destinations app. That app USED to be next to useless and universally hated. The new version is getting great reviews. THAT app will let you pull up directions and send to your sync account as is done above. The Android version of that app is due out in a few months.

Others chime in if I'm off base here.

Also i just realized that you are up North in Can.... No Sync there? Hmmm ... not sure if any of this is helpful sorry

Android version out now. Not getting good reviews. Haven't tried it yet.

The Android vers currently out there (ver 2.1.7) is still the 'old' one. The app is very much like MFT..... everyone is hoping that the re-written one will be better. And yes, this current version is getting much deserved bad reviews. I'll repost with my review once the new one for Android gets out there. thx

Hi IVT team,
I was wondering, can I send direction ( or address ) to Myford touch navigation though bluetooth. I know my phone (galaxy S2) can share locadion address via BT but it is not working with MFT. If not are there any plans to do so. I live in Canada :ca: and since we don't have sync services such option will be helpfull.
Thanks

zaidi975,

Unfortunately, without SYNC Services, there's really no way to do this :( However, check out this thread:

http://explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324785&highlight=SYNC+Services

There's a link in there where you can vote on Social.Ford.com for SYNC Services to be available in Canada!

Rebecca

The Android vers currently out there (ver 2.1.7) is still the 'old' one. The app is very much like MFT..... everyone is hoping that the re-written one will be better. And yes, this current version is getting much deserved bad reviews. I'll repost with my review once the new one for Android gets out there. thx

Thanks for the correction. Just read an article today (link came from a post) that said the new Sync Destinations app. was up and running. Talked about how great it is. That's what I just downloaded(2.1.7). Can't find the link or the article nor remember the web site. (senior moment, I guess) Guess it was a very old story. Should have checked the date.:(:notworthy

Ok GWA1... let me know if/when you see the new app come out. I'll do likewise. I don't know, there is just something about this feature that I think is nice. Last spring my wife and I were on a road trip, while visiting a town she was doing some shopping and I was just people watching on bench enjoying the day. I thought, hey, let me check Yelp for some nearby restaurants. Once i found one i thought man, now wouldn't it be nice to just send the directions to the car and once I start it up, bam...directions to the restaurant download (I knew it could be done from google desktop site..just not mobile app). Anyway count me in as anxious to use the new version.

Ford SYNC Destinations Application for Android is out..... grab it!

Updated: May only work Applink (*&^%*). Still checking it out

Ford SYNC Destinations Application for Android is out..... grab it!

Updated: May only work Applink (*&^%*). Still checking it out
RJT,
Thanks for update.
Just got up and noticed my Droid updated the app. I asume this is the new one. 2.7.1
Going to wait for MTF update to play with it.

RJT,
Just got another update for Destinations. Now version 3.6
GWA

Here's an update on sending directions from various mapping programs (desktops, tablets, smartphones etc.).

Best as I could find, the leaders in this arena (Google Maps & Mapquest) have removed their "Send to Car" feature from portables devices - phones, tablets, and the like. Note that when you use these applications from a desktop the feature works fine. Some conversations seem to think that this is a result of agreements made with mobile cell providers so you use 'their' navigation apps

I should state up front that I am an Android user so my comments come from that perspective. Ford's "Destination's" app (for those familiar with it) was, at it's original release, a pretty pathetic attempt at integrating mobile phone directions with Sync. Their most recent version is a complete re-write of the app and is MUCH improved. Nevertheless, I have personally found it to still be 'buggy' and not the most easily used 'send directions to car' utility.

Checking around I found an "Open Source" application (in my case, for Android) that returns the 'Send-to-Car' feature to Google Maps. I have played around with it and so far, its very (I'll throw in another very) nice "add-on" app. For those of you who want to try it.... it's on the Android Market (search for 'sendtocar' --- its free). For more information on it go to Sourceforge Open web site... just google it, and again search for 'sendtocar'. I've just started to play with it and it looks like it has trouble sending GPS coordinates to your car, but if you can find an actual address on Google maps (which is pretty much always), it's 'good to go'. A very helpful app for me.

Sourceforge is an Open Source community for developers. It is VERY respected, very much like the idea behind Linux. They have tremendous apps... mostly for technical folks but one of their most used (and Safest) applications is "KEEPASS' a password vault to store all your passwords. The developer has worked with the US gov in developing secure encryption... end of plug for keepass.

If you have an issue, or find a bug in the app... I have heard the developer is very responsive to questions. Load it on your phone. There is an imbedded tutorial

Back