• Register Today It's free!

serious a4ld problem...help!

jake the snake

Reaction score
City, State
Louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT 4x4 4.0/SOHC
I am not a mechanic, I have never worked on a transmission before. I need advice and help. A few weeks ago, my transmission started acting up. after it got warm it would only want to start in 2nd gear. If I floored it, first gear would engage, but only then. I had it looked at by aamco, they told me it might be the modulator. That same day, another problem started. While driving in D or OD, and accelerating through the gears, the trans would disengage after 2nd gear, just making the engine rev up like the truck is in neutral. I am losing fluid, somebody told me it is being sucked into the vacuum line that goes to the manifold. What the heck is going on? Is it the modulator? Has anyone heard of this before?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

good luck

My trans has been rebuilt 5 times in the last 5 years...and that's been the symptoms most times. Last thing that was done was the governor i think...good luck cause it cost me $1300...

Glacier knows his A4LD like the back of his hand. As a matter of fact, he includes a few pics of the back of his hand on his A4LD rebuild ; )
You can trust him.

Thank you for the kind words Rocco.

shop guys told me they found metal in the pan when they pulled it. they reccommended complete rebuild and torque conv. w/ warranty. i went for it. 12 mos./12k mi. i got it home from the shop and the shifter cable had fallen out of its "collar". i called the shop and some dimwit showed up at my house with some broom wire, a pair of pliers and a ratchet w/ one socket to fix it. i am kind of suspicious of why he knew exactly what to bring, as he was the guy to do the work, and the "collar" that was broken was in perfect shape before it went into the shop. i have counted eight times since rebuild that it has started from 2nd gear. does a rebuild need time to break in or is something wrong?

No it shouldn't need "broken in". Not sure what all was replaced during their rebuild, but it should run for quite a while after being installed. How is it after they reinstalled the shifter cable? People make mistakes. Give it a few days and let us know how things worked out.

here's what the bill said:

rebuilt torque conv.
assembly kit-transtar
screen-filter(b)
modulator-adjustable type b
band-intermediate front and overdrive
band-reverse

the shifter has been ok, but i kind of feel like i paid almost 2 grand for more than ten inches of broom wire, know what i mean?

rocco, wassup southern tier!! i am from around there too.

Getting ready for spring. Grilling spedies. Where were you from?

Going by your bill the only thing I wouldn't have been able to do myself was rebuild the torque converter. I didn't know anything about a tranny until I read thru the post from Glacier991 A4LD rebuild diary. I asked him a few questions when my OD band broke last year. He helped me get thru replacing it VIA e-mail advice. Cost me less than $100.00 including the engine stand I bought to support the tranny when it was out. I enjoyed that job.

Could have been the modulator all along. Vacuum modulator is a piece of cake, as it sits on the right side. To ID it it's the only Vac line running to the tranny. They probably changed the bands while everything else was apart. Cheap insurance for the future. Wish I was able to work on cars more often. Just don't have the time.

Most shops don't completely rebuild a transmission. They pull them apart and replace only what has to be. IMHO the A4LD is weak to begin with and then not replacing everything makes them worse. I put over $400 worth of parts in mine the last time I rebuilt it and it didn't last. I eventually swapped to a C5 (rebuilt it as well), but I didn't need OD.

I don't see a new front pump, thrust washers, or bushings on the list. Those do not come in rebuild kits. You have to get them seperately. We always replace those parts in any trans.

I have no clue about the "wire" repair. The place we always buy our parts stocks every tiny clip or piece of plastic for any vehicle to re-hook everything up. I got the grommets for my C5 floor shifter (84) just by laying one on the counter. They didn't even ask what it was out of. Wire is not the correct way to fix something, ever. Its ok for a trail fix to get home, but...... :rolleyes:

Keep us updated on what the trans is doing. They guys around her should be able to help.

big help guys, thanks...

what other parts are included in a "complete rebuild"?

should i have these people put any other parts in it?

go read the Diary, and figure out what you think should be in a "normal" repair. I am not impressed.

I have looked at the diary (not read the whole thing). That is a lot of good work along with a lot of research for additional parts. However, I can assure you that no average shop is going to put that much time/money into it. If they did, you could buy a new vehicle cheaper. Most don't even replace all the regular stuff the ATSG manual shows (I am guessing thats what happened here). That is all I was trying to say earlier.

BTW Glacier: How much money did you finally end up putting into yours (parts I mean)?

I ended up giving up on the A4LD after ford rebuilt it and I did it 3 times. I didn't go through everything you did, just what the ATSG suggested (updated as well to 4.0 parts). I eventually rebuilt a C5 for my ranger. So far that one is holding up to the punishment I have given it.

Back