neorot

Reaction score
City, State
Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Explorer XLT 5sp
Hello,

I have a '96 Explorer XLT 4.0 5sp.
The issue is that after letting the Explorer sit for most of the summer I ended up with a dead battery when I finally tried to start it. No biggie, it was almost expected.
I charged the batter-it started right up.
Next day, dead battery-not even a click. Charged it again and let it sit for a couple of days to see if the battery would hold a charge. 12.8 V...good.
1. Put the battery back in and put a test light between pos terminal and cable. It lit up but not bright, but lit non-the-less.
2. Checked continuity between both posts at starter relay/solenoid. There was continuity so I swapped it out.
3. This time with 12.6 V it clicked a few times and then stopped.
4. Unhooked POS lead and checked draw voltage. I got a 12.4 V reading! But test light is still dim.
5. Pulled all interior fuses-light never went out.
6. Pulled Voltage Reg plug on alternator and light did go out, but still showed a 12.4 V draw with plug out(????).
7. Jump (start) gave me the same results. Clicking.........

Any ideas??

Thanks for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Blinker fluid pump.

lol.

Do you have an amp in the truck (for subwoofers?)
Anything aftermarket on the truck?
Is the battery new?
Why is it sitting and why aren't you driving it! lol.

The only aftermarket thing in the truck in the stereo, which has been there for years. Just a normal in-dash CD AM/FM, no pwr amps or subs.
I know, I should have driven it more.

That's it, your truck is just mad at you because you haven't been driving it.

The only thing I can think of for your problem is there being a short somewhere, or maybe your leaving something on? (like headlights, but I think you'd notice those, lol.) Or you have a bad battery.

That'll teach me!
That was going to be my next move. Change out the POS battery harness.
The battery is good/new(not even a year) and holds a charge while not in the truck.
What I forgot to mention in the initial post was that a jump (start) gave me the same results. Clicking.........

cable issue, i bet,,
check the battery cables,,

Thanks Corky...next I will be checking the cables or changing them out.
Nice Explorer!

thnaks,, it will be getting better in a week too, got lots of parts to put on, ,

Back