• Register Today It's free!

Serious guage problems.

sbaska

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Explorer EB
I just bought a 92 eddie bauer from my uncle. When he sold it to me, the fuel guage did not work and the tach constantly read about 3500 rpms. He had a replacement cluster he gave to me which I just put in. Now the tach works but the fuel guage still doesnt and the speedometer doesnt either. The speedo started at 0 then slowly worked its way to 55. Now 55 is where it decided it wanted to stay. Any ideas? I'm thinking speedo cable, but i'm just hoping i missed something putting the new one back in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The tach has a resister that gets worn over time. usually just a cracked sodder joint. But you replaced it soo...

The fuel gauge you are going to have to drop the fuel tank to fix. If its reading F, then its grounding out and its a simple sodder-fix. If its reading E, then the float in the sending unit has filled up with gas and sunk to the bottom... a new sending unit is needed.

The speedo can be one of 5 things. The drive gear (in transfercase). the speedogear (at the end of the speedo cable) or its little cable-end which is tied to the end of the speedo-cable with some wire. Or its The speedo cable, or the speedometer itself.

Is it possible to take the speedo part from the old cluster and put in in the new cluster? Cuz the old one worked. And the fuel guage is reading full so i guess now i know what i have to do with that.

The tach and the speedo are different parts of the cluster.. once you have the clear part off the cluster you can interchanges the difference gauges.

Just put the good speedo in the dash, and the good tach... and keep the 2nd set of oil/fuel and volt/temp gauges as spares..

~Mark

awesome...thanks a million.

Back