Serious help needed!

Limited Ex

Elite Lurker
Reaction score
City, State
Greensboro, North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Limited
So last night I am browsing the internet, looking for better software to play mp3s with on my Palm. I click a link to look at a picture, the picture loads, then my browser window freezes. WinAmp was playing in the background, and after the browser froze, then WinAmp stopped working. Then after a few seconds, my mouse froze. During this time I tried Ctrl Alt Dlt, nothing. So I hit the Reset button, XP did the check disk on drive C, found nothing, and when Windows loaded, EVERYTHING that was on my D drive is no longer operable. Backgrounds, programs, skins, nothing is there. When I click on D drive, it comes up and says "Disk is not formatted, would you like to format now?" It is as if D has been removed. But the thing is, I have two hard drives, one of which is partitioned to hold C and D. D of course is where I kept anything that I downloaded. Everything on C and E still works. But D is where I had the bulk of my software; virus scanners, music, Quicken 2005, you name it. No pron :p

So, I am at a loss. I have been scanning my system for viruses regularly, and nothing was ever found, but last night everything just froze, then dumped on me. Even a quick restore did nothing. What can I do???

Win XP Pro
2 80gig hds
Nvidia 6800 GT
Athalon XP 3000+

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what type of hard drive?
i'd go to the manuf. website and see if they have a diganotic test for their drives...

They are Maxtor hard drives. I went to their website and downloaded a diagnostic tool, and scanned both drives, and they came back error free!? The one drive I can understand, it is solely for videogames, but the other is partitioned into two drives. Its like it is non-existent........:(

I took it to my buddies house so he could look at it. He is a guru with computers. And right now I really really do not want to spend money where I don't have to. Hopefully he can sort it out. If not, well then, credit card here I come :(

Let me know if you need the data recovered.. I have Ontrack's Easy Recovery. http://www.ontrack.com/easyrecoveryprofessional/ Unforuntately this software isn't cheap so I have to make atleast some money.. I charge $150 to recover the data but it is negoitable.

Blee1099 said:
Let me know if you need the data recovered.. I have Ontrack's Easy Recovery. http://www.ontrack.com/easyrecoveryprofessional/ Unforuntately this software isn't cheap so I have to make atleast some money.. I charge $150 to recover the data but it is negoitable.

SWEET NECTAR! i'm glad i just aquired it at work from my x-office mate...it does work great though! :)

I think I am just going to call it a loss. My buddy did get a data recovery program on here, I have not had the chance to use it yet, but now my C drive is acting up also. I think the hard drive is finally going out, its about 3 or 4 years old. The only thing that sucks is losing my music, Beavis and Butthead collection, and my Quicken information. But oh well. Its just irritating that this damn thing had to happen at this point in time, just adds to all the other bull ****e I get to deal with :mad: :eek:

you gonna get a new pc? i am lookin for a 3000+ lol

Limited Ex said:
I think I am just going to call it a loss. My buddy did get a data recovery program on here, I have not had the chance to use it yet, but now my C drive is acting up also. I think the hard drive is finally going out, its about 3 or 4 years old. The only thing that sucks is losing my music, Beavis and Butthead collection, and my Quicken information. But oh well. Its just irritating that this damn thing had to happen at this point in time, just adds to all the other bull ****e I get to deal with :mad: :eek:

If you do get a new hard drive or PC, save the old hard drive and you may still be able to salvage your files. Sometimes the old hard drive can be used as a slave with the new master and you could possibly retrieve your files that way.

Sojourner

well, yeah I was going to say some times the drive isnt in good enough condition to actually boot into windows from BUT you could always set it as a slave, set your new drive as master and hopefully copy your old files onto the new one and or burn it to a dvd/cd. this is the thing I usually do to clients PC's that they bring into me. you dont really need recovery software except for extreme occasions, usually you can just do the good ol' copy and paste. not always but most of the time. if you need any help lmk.
Ed

GRainMOnkey said:
well, yeah I was going to say some times the drive isnt in good enough condition to actually boot into windows from BUT you could always set it as a slave, set your new drive as master and hopefully copy your old files onto the new one and or burn it to a dvd/cd. this is the thing I usually do to clients PC's that they bring into me. you dont really need recovery software except for extreme occasions, usually you can just do the good ol' copy and paste. not always but most of the time. if you need any help lmk.
Ed

That's why I suggested that, Ed! I do exactly the same thing for my clients! When the hard drive is a complete loss (like what happened with my wireless laptop), there isn't much you can do except hope that you had everything backed up on other computers or mass storage devices! Hopefully, that won't be the case here!

Sojourner

I've actually got a 20 gig set as a slave in my old PC that had that problem ... my dad still is using it to download his MP3's to :D

put the hard drive in the freezer and when it gets REALLY cold plug it and see if it works.... if it does work u might wanna put ur pc in the freezer JUST to get all the data out... it sounds crazy but i've seen it happen.

I've heard of that as well... but I'd worry about condensation possibly forming. :eek:

Back