Serious Spark Plug Problem.....Help Please!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Serious Spark Plug Problem.....Help Please!!!!

Green Ex

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
Alright, I've got a '99 Explorer with the V-6 in it. It's only got 58k miles on it and it has something seriouly wrong with it. It keeps fouling out spark plugs. Just one, and I think it's the same one each time. This car is under warranty so I'm not the one doing the work.
They told me today that it's a different plug than last time. Either way, it's fouling out a sprk plug every 2 months.

At 50,765 miles they replaced:
*Ignition Coil
*Spark Plugs
*Sprak Plug Wires

At 53,750 miles they replaced:
*Spark plug wire set (defective)
*1 spark plug (fouled)

Now at 58,000 it's back in with another fouled plug.

Anyone have any idea what could bne causing this??

I think they know something but are just patching it up until my warranty runs out....

Thanks so much for any help or ideas!!

JEFF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the board!!

What is your plug fouling with?? Oil?? Gas?? If it's oil, it could be a bad ring or bad valve seals. A compression check can help narrow it down. If it's gas, it could be a bad injector. Did they only replace one coil, or the whole coil pack?

Sorry I left that info out...

It's fouling with GAS
and yes they replaced the whole coil pack.

Thanks,
JEFF

Could be the fuel injector is sticking open or is bad. Had this happen to me at 32,000 miles. Dealer replaced it and no more fouled plug.

Yup, could the the injector. Also check that all the intake manifold bolts are tightened to specs.

Check out my post to see what happened with my X.

Back