• Register Today It's free!

serious trans problems

zrxsix3rz

Reaction score
City, State
Peoria, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Xploder
Alright i have done some reading and would like to get someone's take on what i might be facing, just the other night i was coming back home from a mud bog (didnt put the truck in) but my 97 xlt explorer was driving fine until i noticed rpms way to high for going 55-60 mph... so this is what i got for conditions

I have burnt fluid
trans slipping so bad that i lose everything (like it was in neutral)
od light flashing (i will pull codes in a few)

Now i was able to drive it home, i was able to drive it so far til the trans would slip and would gain or maintain speed then i would pull off to the side of the road, shut off the truck and put it in park and restart it and it would start moving again until i would lose the trans again, this happened multiple times but everytime i would shut the engine off and restart it it would go

I have read about the torque converter solenoid going sticking on these 5 speed auto trans, but never heard of anyone getting burnt tranny fluid in the process... any help would be great and thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well i tried to pull the codes on it but my scanner will not pick it up, i got the od light to flash again, i did the mistake on taking it around the block and it took a little bit to get it home
but i this also happened, i put the truck in reverse and it slipped so i leaft it in reverse and after awhile it actually ingauged so im thinking its a stuck torque converter clutch solenoid but would still like someone's input that maybe has had this problem and fixed it or could know whats wrong with it

You will need to hook up to a pro level scanner to read Ford transmission codes... Don't ask me why, they are the same dam codes everyone else uses. Anyway you are likely looking at code P0741 torque converter clutch system stuck off. For some reason (internal leakage, electrical, piston hub wear in converter, etc.), the torque converter clutch sytem is failing, and the debris is clogging up the filter. Turn off the engine and it will settle down, but once running again it will pick it right back up. You will at the very least need a converter, cooler flush, and transmission overhaul. Maybe valve body and hard parts possibly.

How many miles on the tranny? Its 17 years old.

I think your best bet is to replace it or have it rebuilt. If you've got goobers floating around in the fluid you'll have long term problems that will never end.

How many miles on the tranny? Its 17 years old.

I think your best bet is to replace it or have it rebuilt. If you've got goobers floating around in the fluid you'll have long term problems that will never end.

When i bought the explorer almost 2years ago it was "suppose" to have a new transmission in it with like 20k miles and that was at 183k on the odometer, i now have 208k miles... now either someone wasn't telling me the truth or this trans wasn't built right... when i crawled up under the truck when i bought it, it looked like a new one because there was hardly any dirt on the thing! Ugh this is my first automatic too and now im thinking about sticking to manual trans if i can...

Also i noticed that the trans fluid was always over the full mark so the only way i can figure it out is to open it up and look...

does anyone think that the valve body gaskets can be so far gone that it is causing some of this problem?

I think you're grasping at straws. 20K and the fluid is burnt is NOT a good sign. Slipping while in gear is the kiss of death to an automatic. More likely the transmission is shot.

Alright thanks, i pulled the pan and filter off and took the filter apart and there is a lot of metal inside... its not looking to good for this transmission... still going to look at the valve body before i pull it completely out to get it worked on, thanks for the help

Back