Serpentine belt change suggestions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Serpentine belt change suggestions

cferrer56

Reaction score
City, State
Chattanooga, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer XLT
I'm planning on changing the serpentine belt on my 2003 Explorer XLT 4.0 FlexFuel with 152,000 mi. Any recommendations while doing this? Should I change the tensioner, idler pulley, water pump, etc.,???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm planning on changing the serpentine belt on my 2003 Explorer XLT 4.0 FlexFuel with 152,000 mi. Any recommendations while doing this? Should I change the tensioner, idler pulley, water pump, etc.,???

I just changed my serpentine belt about a month ago. I decided at the time to not change out my tensioner. About 2 weeks later I heard a rattling sound and found out that my tensioner was giving out.

I would say replace both the belt and tensioner at the same time. They are not expensive.

Thanks motc777. Its kinda what I was thinking.

Always replace the tensioner with the belt. Always...

Mike

Change the idler pulley as well if it is original.

Thanks

Thanks to all for your advice. Plan on changing belt, tensioner, and idler pulley as one. I will take a closer look at all the cooling system components though.

I did my serpentine belt, tensioner, and idler pulley a month or so ago. I couldn't find the OEM pulley on RockAuto so I went with a compatible AC Delco one. All other parts are Motorcraft. I still hear a noise in the front when idling in cold temperatures, so I may have to tackle something else to stop that sound. (Sort of a rattle, starts after idling for 45 seconds or so on really cold days)

Back