• Register Today It's free!

Serpentine Belt Problems

Philip Bretz

Reaction score
City, State
Hamilton Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Sport Trac
I have a Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2004. I changed the tensioner, alternator, and belt. It squeals when I am driving but not really that much when sitting idle. There is alot of play in the belt. I could probally slip the new belt off without messing with the tensioner. I have bought 3 new serpentine belts to replace my original belt. I am not sure why but all 3 belts are longer than my original. Does anyone else have this problem? My "crankshaft pulley" has two wheel pulleys on it, (small pulley and a large pulley) The smaller pulley is upfront while larger pulley is towards the rear of vehicle. It did not notice which pulley I should use for the belt, but appears I should use the smaller pulley because it is "in-line with all other pulleys in the belt system. Please help if anyone has insights into my problem....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

do you have air conditioner compressor ...the smaller one is not a pulley its the harmonic balancer

do you have air conditioner compressor ...the smaller one is not a pulley its the harmonic balancer
Yes I have a an air compressor . Do I put the belt on the harmonic balancer? I am confused because the bigger wheel is not in alignment with the rest of the pullys?

There is a known issue with the factory belt used on Gen 1 (2001-05) ST's being too long. Gen 2 ST's (2007-10) with the 4.0L SOHC V6 actually changed to the shorter belt. Many on the MyST forum have replaced the OEM stock length belt with a 1/2" shorter belt. Stock belt complaints were slipping when the steering was turned to full lock, and on some occasions belt float and slipping when hard on the gas pedal. Too visually check, look at the indicator lines on the tensioner. Generally, the pointer should be close to the middle mark or towards the right mark. Too late to exchange if you still have the receipt and packaging? Here's just one related thread, search "shorter serpentine belt" and you'll find more. GL

http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/msgboard9e.asp?BOARDNAME=MSG&VIEW=1313192

First pic is using the 1/2" shorter Gates K060860. Second pic is the stock length Ford belt.

Gates20K060860_1.jpg
Stock20Belt_1.jpg

you did click on swshawaii post i think that answers your original question ....do not put your belt on the harmonic balancer

I have a Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2004. I changed the tensioner, alternator, and belt. It squeals when I am driving but not really that much when sitting idle. There is alot of play in the belt. I could probally slip the new belt off without messing with the tensioner. I have bought 3 new serpentine belts to replace my original belt. I am not sure why but all 3 belts are longer than my original. Does anyone else have this problem? My "crankshaft pulley" has two wheel pulleys on it, (small pulley and a large pulley) The smaller pulley is upfront while larger pulley is towards the rear of vehicle. It did not notice which pulley I should use for the belt, but appears I should use the smaller pulley because it is "in-line with all other pulleys in the belt system. Please help if anyone has insights into my problem....
I have a 2005 explorer spirt trac and i just had the same problem. I had the same squeal as you. I replaced alternator ,belt tensioner,the belt. And still did it i even went to a samaller belt and it went away. Drive fir a month like that and tgen my crank sensor went out . turns out it was the hormonic Balancer . It was broke and wiped out the crank sensor. So all that miney i put into the alternator. And tensioner and the belt i didn't. Need. It was the hormonic balance. Si look at your hormonic balancer. And if your smart look at your crank sensor to see if your hormonic balancer ground a chunk out of your crank. If your hormonic balancer is bad.here is here is dome videos i found in youtube. And everything i did was described to the tee.and every noise was to

I have a 2005 explorer sport trac and i just had the same problem. I had the same squeal as you. I replaced alternator ,belt tensioner,the belt. And still did it i even went to a samaller belt and it went away. Drive fir a month like that and tgen my crank sensor went out . turns out it was the hormonic Balancer . It was broke and wiped out the crank sensor. So all that miney i put into the alternator. And tensioner and the belt i didn't. Need. It was the hormonic balance. Si look at your hormonic balancer. And if your smart look at your crank sensor to see if your hormonic balancer ground a chunk out of your crank sensor. If your hormonic balancer is bad.here is here is dome videos i found in youtube. And everything i did was described to the tee.and every noise was to

I have a 2005 explorer sport trac and i just had the same problem. I had the same squeal as you. I replaced alternator ,belt tensioner,the belt. And still did it i even went to a samaller belt and it went away. Drive fir a month like that and tgen my crank sensor went out . turns out it was the hormonic Balancer . It was broke and wiped out the crank sensor. So all that miney i put into the alternator. And tensioner and the belt i didn't. Need. It was the hormonic balance. Si look at your hormonic balancer. And if your smart look at your crank sensor to see if your hormonic balancer ground a chunk out of your crank sensor. If your hormonic balancer is bad.here is here is dome videos i found in youtube. And everything i did was described to the tee.and every noise was to

And i bet you can watch your belt jump around on your alternators. Thats the sign of bad hormonic balancer

I want to thank
arrow-10x10.png
everyone, the shorter length belt worked perfectly. I sure wished I knew this a few weeks ago. My alternator is charging and the no squeaks.

I want to thank
arrow-10x10.png
everyone, the shorter length belt worked perfectly. I sure wished I knew this a few weeks ago. My alternator is charging and the no squeaks.
Check the homnic balancer i bet its bad . i did the same and it turbed out ti be the hermonic balancer. I did the same to and i thought if i changed all the stuff why would i have to down size on the belt. Sure enough it was the hominic balancer

Back