• Register Today It's free!

Serpentine Belt (Change)

shb5007

Reaction score
City, State
Williamsburg, Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
Hello all, I am in the process of setting up an appointment to get the serpentine belt changes on my 2016 Explorer Sport. This is something I have done in the past, but from what I see / hear this job can be a bit of a "pain" to perform. Off to the shop it goes! Just a question about this... my SUV now has ~112,000 miles on it. I have changed the coolant and the plugs recently. Is there anything else I should have them perform / look at while they are in there working on the belt? Any other maintenance? Belts? etc.? Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IMO this is only a pain because it’s easier done from below. If you’re handy at all and can wait until the weekend it’s a diy job.

Hello all, I am in the process of setting up an appointment to get the serpentine belt changes on my 2016 Explorer Sport. This is something I have done in the past, but from what I see / hear this job can be a bit of a "pain" to perform. Off to the shop it goes! Just a question about this... my SUV now has ~112,000 miles on it. I have changed the coolant and the plugs recently. Is there anything else I should have them perform / look at while they are in there working on the belt? Any other maintenance? Belts? etc.? Thank you!
Have them check for a possible coolant leak from the water pump drain hole. Water pump failure leads to dead engine

Peter

Based on age, you might want to have brake fluid flush. I had my 2014 done a little over a year ago for the first time.
I do almost all my own maintenance, but it was in for toe link recall, so I figured I'd have them do the brake fluid while it was in.

As for the belt, it can be tricky, but I was lucky that I had a 3/8" 'breaker bar' that fit the tensioner just perfectly.
Took me about 15 minutes to get it done if I remember correctly.
I think the hardest part was making sure the belt was on all the pulleys correctly as I released the tensioner.

Based on age, you might want to have brake fluid flush. I had my 2014 done a little over a year ago for the first time.
I do almost all my own maintenance, but it was in for toe link recall, so I figured I'd have them do the brake fluid while it was in.

As for the belt, it can be tricky, but I was lucky that I had a 3/8" 'breaker bar' that fit the tensioner just perfectly.
Took me about 15 minutes to get it done if I remember correctly.
I think the hardest part was making sure the belt was on all the pulleys correctly as I released the tensioner.

1.) Thanks for the heads up on the brake fluid, not a bad idea.

2.) As for the belt. Is there just one on this motor?

At that mileage, change transmission fluid and if 4WD the transfer case oil and differential oil if not done already(IMO, transmission should be every 30k).

Back