• Register Today It's free!

Service on 2013 Ford Explorer

annekay7979

Reaction score
City, State
Kingwood, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer
Hi all, I'm new to the forum. I went in search of answers when we realized that our navigation on our 2013 Ford Explorer totally sucked....

However, that's not why I'm here today. We just took our truck in for a regular lube, and to check on some clicking in the steering (and of course the navigation)....and we got a few surprises.

Our car has around 27,000 miles on it, and we were told that every 15,000 miles, we're supposed to get some fuel injector cleaning that costs $240, because Ford doesn't put filters in their fuel injectors anymore. Plus, they told us that our 30,000 mile check is almost due, and together with the fuel injector cleaning, it's over $900. Does this seem super high to anyone else???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You don't need the injector cleaning. In the owners manual there is a maintenance guide, just follow that. At 27,000 miles you need an oil change and tire rotation and maybe a cabin air filter...maybe...but that's something you can do yourself simply. My explorer is approaching 30k miles and all I've had done to it are 4 oil changes and tire rotations, runs like a champ (as it should for being 2 yrs old)

Just follow what alexk said. I have had many vehicle and never did more than tire rotation and oil change and wiper blades....!

The 2013 Explorer manual says at 20,000 miles to do the following:
change cabin air filter and at 30,000 miles to change engine air filter

This should cost about $100 total at the dealer or about $35 in parts to DIY.

What did they want to do for $900?

I'd print this out and take it to the dealer. Then I'd go find another dealer!

I'd print this out and take it to the dealer. Then I'd go find another dealer!
:thumbsup:

And then I'd tell them you aren't getting the muffler bearings greased, either.

:D

Welcome to the Forum annekay7979.:wavey:
As mentioned by several members, just follow the maintenance table in your Owner's Guide. If the Explorer is running fine there should be no need to have injectors cleaned. I actually can't recall the last time I've had that done with any of my vehicles.

Peter

sad what some dealers try, i understand its a business, but ripping people off is a poor business model.

Thieves!!:mad::mad:

Annekay7979 what is the name of this dealer so other people know to stay away from it?

They have all kinds of new automated services at dealer and non-dealer service shops: brake fluid cleaning, tranny fluid cleaning, anti-freeze cleaning, etc., etc.

Those are pushed to customers as the Non-Plus-Ultra add-ons. NO NEED FOR THEM.

ALWAYS CHECK YOU OM FOR SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE GUIDANCE.

The only thing my dealer ever recommended after a couple of years was a front and rear brake service. Since my wheels were already off because I was having the Winter tires changed out. I agreed to have it done and was happy I did after seeing all the posts pop up about various brake issues mainly regarding sticking calipers etc. Total cost for parts and labour was $90.

Peter

I have 38,x.. miles on my Explorer and requested the $40 Works package a few times around and an alignment once. I replaced my cabin air filter with one from Amazon already. No need to spend $900.

Back