• Register Today It's free!

service parts questions

jamesc777

Reaction score
City, State
Holmfirth, West Yorkshire
Year, Model & Trim Level
Missing Hector
Hi sorry to bug u busy guys out there but i have a couple of questions for service parts.
1998 4L V6 S reg UK model Explorer.

Oil filters, i keep been told there are 2 sizes and for the love of god i cant find which mine is - M22 x 1.5 or 3/4" UNF Thread. i expect it is the 2nd one but just want to make sure.
i have read many things on hear about spark plugs but 2 questions where in the uk can i get motorcraft SP500 or autolites APP103 as it seems expensive to import them and i have a mate who can get me NGK platinum's for free so would they be ok?
sorry im sure the info is out there but cant find it and i want to go and spend some money.

out of interest i will list the parts i am getting below and am open to part numbers and destinations in the uk to get them!!! cheating i know :D

oil filter (im thinking Fram)
oil 5w30 (im thinking ford synthetic)
fuel filter (im thinking fram)
air filter (im thinking Mahle)
6x platinum plugs (im thinking ngk if i cant get autolite/motocraft)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi James
I use oil filter by cooper available at my local motor factors for about £6
Plugs i have NGK platinums and found them ok
If you want autolite you could try these but i would call to check they are for the SOHC and not the OHV
Autolite
The American guys seem to not rate FRAM but can't comment as i've not used them. Have you checked at the dealer? Might do a reasonable price on motorcraft stuff

I've used Fram oil filters, not good as they don't have a non-return valve so first thing start-up there is a 3 second delay in getting oil pressure,

changed for a Motorcraft from ford dealer, no more problems.

cheers

Jim

Right decided to take the plunge and do it properly, put my first order in to rock auto!! Getting all excited now :D

All parts arrived today, very excited. big thanks to rock auto for the service and speedy delivery as well as my mate for the Sol-X.

parts i have now got:

5L + 1L 5w30 Ford Oil
Motorcraft oil filter
ACDelco fuel filter
Air Hog performance air filter
Sol-X - Motor flush
Induction cleaner
Dual fuel hyper clean
1999 facelift front bumper.

Roll on the weekend. :D

Well i have spent the day servicing, loosing knuckles and such, but a successful one and quite enjoyable.

a list of the ins and outs:

In:

5L + 1L 5w30 Ford Oil
Motorcraft oil filter
ACDelco fuel filter
Air Hog performance air filter

Cleaners and flushes:

Sol-X - Motor flush
Induction cleaner
Dual fuel hyper clean

Out with at least 12,000 miles on:

Very black and burnt smelling oil
Fram oil filter
original motorcraft fuel filter!!
fram paper air filter
6x champion RS12YC, ok condition, ceramic broke on 2 when removing and gaps were bigger than they should have been.

All in all it took me 4 hours, that includes tea breaks, butty breaks and playing with the kids! o and checking the web for info lol.

A well enjoyed day for me, house maintenance tomorrow, lucky me :rolleyes:

Images of some of the bits used:

Back