Servicing a '02 Ranger 8.8 differential | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Servicing a '02 Ranger 8.8 differential

ptf18

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac
Fellows. Finished changing the pinion seal in my '02 Ranger with a 8.8 rear end. Non- Limited Slip.
I filled the differential with fluid till it was even with the bottom of the fill hole.

THEN....... I read the filling instructions in my '02 Ranger Owners Manual.

It states that the level is to be... 1/4" to 9/16" ..... BELOW.... the bottom of the fill hole.

Never heard of this.

Would appreciate your input.

I sucked out the fluid till it was 1/4" BELOW the bottom of the fill hole........

Took out a bit over ONE quart.

Seems really odd to me.

Thanks.

Fellows. Finished changing the pinion seal in my '02 Ranger with a 8.8 rear end. Non- Limited Slip.
I filled the differential with fluid till it was even with the bottom of the fill hole.

THEN....... I read the filling instructions in my '02 Ranger Owners Manual.

It states that the level is to be... 1/4" to 9/16" ..... BELOW.... the bottom of the fill hole.

Never heard of this.

Would appreciate your input.

I sucked out the fluid till it was 1/4" BELOW the bottom of the fill hole........

Took out a bit over ONE quart.

Seems really odd to me.

Thanks.
Hello there, I have an 8.8 off a 99 explorer and did a full rear end rebuild with a detroit tru trac lsd. at the time id probably taken the diff apart a total of 5 times within the year and half after that build haha due to first time installer slip ups (nothing serious) but I never ran into a problem running the gear oil at the level of filler plug. in fact I normally just wait until seaps out then cap it. No problems related to that what so ever.

People often overfil the 8.8, it really shouldn’t be an issue.

I've "topped" the level back to the bottom of the plug hole. Took the 1 quart I had removed. Seems "everyone" fills the rear end to the bottom of the hole so I suppose its OK.
Odd that the Owners Manual says differently.

Back