Seven Days Five Trails Who is up for it? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Seven Days Five Trails Who is up for it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think it will get fixed fairly quick. Part of the reason I picked the dates I did was incase we got alot of snow the trails will have a good chance of being open. The biggest concern is Dusy. It is supposed to open August 1. However at 10,000 feet elevation it takes some time to clear the trails. I can't wait for this trip.

A second washout has hit the same road. This one on Dinkey Creek Rd has now cut off access to the Bald Mountain Trail till it is repaired. Bald Mountain is the only local 4wd trail currenty open. The back way is closed in the winter to 4wds and is used by snowmobiles. Dinkey Creek basically turns into McKinley Grove Road on the way to the Dusy Trailhead. I am glad we are getting the water to help fill the resivoirs.

http://abc30.com/weather/runoff-fro...sing-road-washouts-in-mountain-areas/1698270/

A second washout has hit the same road. This one on Dinkey Creek Rd has now cut off access to the Bald Mountain Trail till it is repaired. Bald Mountain is the only local 4wd trail currenty open. The back way is closed in the winter to 4wds and is used by snowmobiles. Dinkey Creek basically turns into McKinley Grove Road on the way to the Dusy Trailhead. I am glad we are getting the water to help fill the resivoirs.

http://abc30.com/weather/runoff-fro...sing-road-washouts-in-mountain-areas/1698270/

we are definitely getting the water. lol

I seen the most recent washout. Pretty nasty.

Excited for this trip too. Wish I would have been able to join DB1 and you out at truckhaven

The snow fall has been amazing in the local mountains. The main road mentioned above is still closed for repairs. There is a back way into Bald Mountain trail head. A few locals when up there last weekend. This photo was taken at roughly 7000' elevation.

16388338_10206364895159605_3996609849677802412_n.jpg

Keep in mind the trails we will be on are in the 8-10,000 foot elevation. The local ski resort is currently reporting 140" snow base. It is lower in elevation then all but one trail we plan on running. I am glad that we are scheduling for the end of August. Should give ample time for snow to melt off.

Here is where the snow pack is currently.
http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cdecapp/snowapp/sweq.action

Crisp crunchy snow! I love snow. Anywhere, but here ;)

This sounds like a Fun thing to do. I do have to say though that Colorado also has A lot of trails to go on. I am super happy here in Colorado but I have seen some really nice trails out there in California also. I have a friend that live in Victorville, CA and he has posted some pics of him playing at Calico. Looks like a lot of fun. Some year I will come out to Cali to get some wheeling in.

If one has lockers front and rear, sliders, bumpers winch and a doubler, could he make through on 33" tires and a short wheelbase?

If one has lockers front and rear, sliders, bumpers winch and a doubler, could he make through on 33" tires and a short wheelbase?

I would add some decent skid plates to the list as well. Otherwise what you listed with either a sport or a BII would be sufficient. Might take a bit more work but I see no problems. Lots of guys run jeeps on 33"s through these trails.

I would add some decent skid plates to the list as well. Otherwise what you listed with either a sport or a BII would be sufficient. Might take a bit more work but I see no problems. Lots of guys run jeeps on 33"s through these trails.

well then I could probably do it.... In 2018 :D

but I have been thinking more and more about the doubler in the future plans of the B2. Since I already own it.

Bust out the Visa and make 2017 happen. :D I have a few other ideas for 2018. Need to see how this goes first.

Maybe I can join in along the way for a few days? Tires, gears, and lockers are already a lot to budget for.

That would work. Would be tough to say which part would be best. I like wheeling all the trails we are planning to hit.

I've been watching ultimate adventure's. I hope you guys film this whole trip and say "falken tires" "falken tires" "my falken tires worked great"

I would take some 37" falken Wildpeak mts. My MTRs are down to about 60 percent. I have noticed a drop in the performance. However new tires isn't in the budget this year. Hopefully next year. This was on Rock Creek Road which is a mostly paved access road into Bald Mountain at 6300' today. About 4 feet of snow on average I would say. The spot I listed at the beginning for trailer parking has about 6' of snow across it right now partly due to the snow blowers clearing the road. Wonder how much there is on Dusy at 10,000'. Lots of downed trees all over.

32748846063_5a64883793_c.jpg
IMG_0719 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

Looks like a bunch of snow is still on the ground. I'm hoping all this winter weather is over. Up here in Oregon it's been rain/snow mix up until the first week of march. All our hills are completely covered in snow. I'd really like to attend this trails run your putting together. Iv got a Dana44 high pinion with a custom built 3 link suspension. 8.8 disc brake out back. Detroit tru trac up front, grizzly locker in the rear. 5.13 gears on 35s currently. The only skid plate I have right now is a home built one under the transmission to hold the link mounts. Think I should consider pinion shields? I also need to get my sliders done. Plans for a doubler in the works but it's low chance I'll have it in by then.. have you had to winch through any of the trails?

Myself or a friend have had to winch or strap on just about every trail in the area at one point. Sometimes you can use a strap but other times a winch is the best option. Plus it just helps keep the group moving if you can self recover. Especially with just a traclock up front it can cause issues. My wife's cj7 has a traclock front and a detriot in the rear. We have reached its limits a few times on the trail. I would say a good skidplate is more important then sliders. You really need both. I have 22 inches of belly clearance and still hit it. As far as ponion shields that is up to you. But I just pulled my rear shaft this morning to get it fixed. The yoke at the pinion is spinning the caps. I have a 1000 mile round trip to death valley planned in three weeks I am getting ready for.

Big thing is MAINTENANCE!!!!! If someone brakes it can take 3 days to get parts and get back on the trail. Some brakedowns you can help.

Post up a few pictures of your rig.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I do have a winch, and straps. My winch can be used front or rear since it's on a hitch reciever. My rig has quite a bit of articulation, and maybe even more as of today. I repacked my leafs, took out the overloads and added 2 more to the pack to make 7 each side. Gonna do some test flexing tomorrow, but I'm really hoping it does what I want it to. I keep my rig in pretty tip top shape. Replacing all the hoses before I even think about leaving state since it's about a 14 hour drive down for me. I'll have a hydro assist ram helper here pretty soon as well which will give me a highly needed new steering box. Lol. Lemme see if I can figure out some pictures.

Back