• Register Today It's free!

Shaking at highway speeds

NissanTy

Reaction score
City, State
Western MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer Limited
My 08 limited with the adrenaline 20's shakes kind of violently over 65 mph. Its bad enough that I will start to get a headache if driving for a long period of time. I just came back from the tire shop getting the wheels and tires balanced and it STILL shakes. Anyone else in here experience this or give me any ideas what to do now? I don't want to have to spend a ton of money trying to figure this out. I am pissed that the balance didn't help. I'm hoping its not a bent wheel or anything mechanical. Thanks guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Take it back to the shop and have them re do the balancing. Then, have the mechanic go with you on a test run (don't let them tell you they will go alone). They have to remedy the problem. Unless it is a bent wheel. then, you'll have to get a new one.

I'm with Machine. Really sounds like a balancing issue at those speeds. And yay MD!

The mechanic at the tire shop said multiple wheels had a lot of weights on them. I will call the shop back this week and maybe they can rebalance the wheels. I really don't want to buy new wheels or a wheel but if I do I'm going aftermarket, I am NOT spending the money for a new factory adrenaline wheel.

Alright guys I thought the wheel shake was going but it came back and it's horrible. The tire shop rotated my wheels too and the wheels that were shaking are now in the front and it is obnoxious over 65mph. I'm taking it back to the tire shop next weekend (busy this weekend) and have them look deeper into the issue.

Any discernible noise coming from the front-end? These Explorers eat wheel bearings. I had a 2008 and 2010, and they went bad in both. Could be worth looking into.

Both front wheel bearings are new, replaced them and the left rear one last fall. I think the tires are just junk. I took it up to about 75-80 mph yesterday evening and there was no shake at all. This is so frustrating and I do not have the money right now to get new tires.

mine is eating tires and the front left wheel shakes pretty bad when it hits bumps at 70+ mph.... I noticed a few weeks back that the front left swaybar link bushings were going bad so I ordered some.... changed them today the right was fine but left was totally eaten away.... changed both and the wobble feels like its went away but... I had the same problem sometimes it does not do it other times I can feel it like something is going to break ..... first I thought it was a wheel bearing because the front right had some play so swapped it out... no change, also rotated the tires to every possible combo possible, all 4 wheels cant be unbalanced but only make the front left shake

i now need to drive it more to see if it comes back but going home I had it up to 80 mph and it felt great.... high speed turns were quite scary but I did an off ramp at 70mph like a champ

Back