Explorer Shaking at Highway Speed (60 - 70 mph) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Shaking at Highway Speed (60 - 70 mph)

XCAMP

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005, XLT
Hey guys, really need some help here because my wallet is draining at the local shop. Here's the deal...

I purchased new tires a few months ago, got a balance and alignment. The truck was smooth as glass on the highway and everywhere else. All of a sudden about a month ago, I was cruising down the highway at 65 and I got this nasty shake... like if you had a cup of water in the cup holder, it would be shaking and almost spilling out. Drop the speed down below 60 or go above 70 and it goes away.

So I take it in and get a balance, and it's still there. Then we check the alignment and rebalance, with everything in spec, the shake is unchanged.

Next, they tell me that my front axle is bent and the u joints are bad. So I pay $1K for that fix, including front dif fluid, pinion seal, etc. The problem was still there and even better, I had a major droning noise at those speeds, so they tell me it's the rear axle and they replace that.

So I have new axles, front and rear, new pinion seal up front, new u joints, and I still have the problem.

Before I took the truck in to them, I read my service manual and it said that if you experience vibration, to test drive it and shift to another gear and see if it goes away... if it doesn't, it says that it's not the drivetrain. I told this to the mechanic when I took it in but he insisted it's the drivetrain.

Any advice would be more than appreciated since it's back in the shop now.

:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bearings maybe? Once I get the $$ I'm replacing those, I have the same problem, and I'm hoping that's the cause....because I don't really have the money for anything more extensive...

That's actually the first thing I asked the shop to check and it's fairly simple, so I am assuming they did. I will be pissed if that's the cause and they replaced my whole drive train instead.

:(i have this too and I can't figure it out

Have you picked up mud lately? I had similar happen a few years ago when I got in some real bad sticky mud. I pressure washed off all the mud I could "see", but the mud embedded in behind the wheels caused the balance to be thrown off big time. The shop who looked at it for me cleaned out the buildup and all was good.

Actually yes, it started after a trip to Greenridge state forest and I went through some major mud holes. It started on the way home. I went through a car wash a couple times since, do you think it could still be an issue. I should scrub down my wheels inside and out I guess. Thanks man!

Actually yes, it started after a trip to Greenridge state forest and I went through some major mud holes. It started on the way home. I went through a car wash a couple times since, do you think it could still be an issue. I should scrub down my wheels inside and out I guess. Thanks man!

My truck ran fine with all the mud in place. Once I powerwashed all the visible mud, my troubles began and only when I hit about 60 mph on the 4 hour drive back home.

My wheels needed to be removed to get the crap out from BEHIND. It was that hidden mud that caused me grief. The mud I picked up was like cement. The tire guy I use had to chisel it out and actually caused some damage to one wheel in the process (which he fixed at his expense).

My guess is you've found your problem. Now comes the fun part. Getting the crud out. ;)

Good luck. Too bad you had to spend all the hard earned cash for all that other stuff. The guy I deal with got it right the first time thank heavens. Cost me about an hour of shop time, but he devoted a lot more time than that and he had to pay $100 to get the wheel fixed on top of that. ;)

The only thing is they balanced the wheels twice already, so it make me question that they could balance all the wheels and not notice or compensate for it. I will clean them when I get it back from the shop. It does suck that these dudes replaced my whole drivetrain even after I told them that I read in my manual about shifting to another gear while it's shaking and that it was not making a difference... the manual says that if vibration still occurs when you shift and the rmps change, that it's not the drivetrain. Arghh!!

The only thing is they balanced the wheels twice already, so it make me question that they could balance all the wheels and not notice or compensate for it. I will clean them when I get it back from the shop. It does suck that these dudes replaced my whole drivetrain even after I told them that I read in my manual about shifting to another gear while it's shaking and that it was not making a difference... the manual says that if vibration still occurs when you shift and the rmps change, that it's not the drivetrain. Arghh!!

You mentioned the truck drove great at one point. Was this before all the mudding? Did you notice the problem right after the mudding?

Sounds to me like this mechanic sees you as a cash cow. I've found a guy who will assure you that if he does a repair and it doesn't solve the problem, then I won't pay for the part OR the labour. He replaced a power steering pump recently to try and find a whine problem. Didn't solve the problem. No charge.

He got some money from me later to swap out two front pulleys. Those were the culprits of the whine. :)

Yep, it was driving perfectly until right after I took it offroad. I guess I didn't think that mud could cause this after the car washes and balances. I figured I broke something, although I wasn't going crazy or anything, just some deep mud holes that make the back end slide out and almost put you in the woods.

Actually the original charge was $1K for U Joins, Pinion Seal, Front Axle... I know it's excessive but I was out of town and needed it fixed and he said it would solve it. So that didn't solve it and they replaced the rear axle at no additional charge. Still not fixed and is back at the shop. I was willing to pay the money to get it back on the road and now I just keep taking it back to them because they did all the work. This is what credit card disputes are for!

Thanks for your help man!

keep me updated.

my 04 does this. cant figure it out.

extended warrenty runs up here soon. so it will go in the shop.

i will make a new post about it/ post back to this one.

The mechanic contacted me today, saying that the new front axle is defective and it's flopping around and he is replacing it again. I asked if it could be the mud in the wheels and he said he balanced them and that's not the problem. He said everything else is in check. I get it back tomorrow and I have my doubts but am hoping for the best. Will let you guys know.

So, I got my Explorer back today and it's fixed, however the mechanic says he replaced the front axle (he already replaced twice), but I mentioned the mud in the wheels to him and he said they broke the bead on the tires and cleaned out the mud and remounted. I have a strong feeling it was the mud but have no way to know. Honestly I am just glad I can drive it on the highway again either way. But for anyone with this problem, clean your rims of any mud and balance before spending any money on axles, etc.

So, I got my Explorer back today and it's fixed, however the mechanic says he replaced the front axle (he already replaced twice), but I mentioned the mud in the wheels to him and he said they broke the bead on the tires and cleaned out the mud and remounted. I have a strong feeling it was the mud but have no way to know.

Sounds like it. Glad to be of assistance. :)

Following up here...

My shake got better but it's not fixed. Wheels have no mud in them and front and rear axles replaced. Shop is telling me it's defective tires, which is BS since it rode fine for a while after getting the new tires. I am guessing something is busted from my offroad excursion(s). Anything else you guys can think of to cause the truck to shake between 60 - 70 mph that has nothing to do with axles, balancing, or tires? How about wheel bearings? THANKS!

maybe put the spare on for a while and see what happens. Move it around to the other side after a few days. It is a full size spare.

Good luck.

Mine got a little better after i got the wheels re balanced.

Tires have been balanced like 5 times, so that's not the problem. The spare is a 135 and my tires are 145, so I don't think that will do anything but make things worse.

could be a bad belt on the tire. Shop told me that it would cause the issues like i have. I have newer tires too.

trying the spare out wouldnt make things worse. Just put it on and if the vib's dont get better then move it. If the get better then you know that rim/tire is messed up.

good luck non the less.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh that does make sense. Let me ask this, I had my tires on for over a thousand miles with no vibration, I went offroad and on the way home the truck just started shaking, so do you think it's possible to bust up the tire/belts like that?

The shop where I got the tires left a freaking tire weight in 1 of the tires and another shop took it out and told me about it, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Also have you tried the spare trick on yours and did it work? Definitely worth a try.

I paid $800 for 4 new tires, only a few months ago, and buying a new set would really piss me off, although 265's would definitely be going on this time :)

Back