• Register Today It's free!

shaking on cold start up.

KobeJ05

Reaction score
City, State
Marina, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 explorer 157k miles
94 explorer. Shakes for 30 seconds then goes away. has a sputter when you rev the engine. im thinking maybe a fuel filter i never changed it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be spark plugs also. How many miles on them?

i just got the intake manifold gasket set replaced so i told them to replace the spark plug and wires. so... probably 6k right around there.

They should be good then. If it were me, I'd probably pull one or two and check the gap and look at the color of the plug just to be sure.

Fuel filter change is a good idea if it is original and you have 154k miles on it.

i just got the intake manifold gasket set replaced so i told them to replace the spark plug and wires. so... probably 6k right around there.

supposley i had the head replaced on the passenger side i dont know what to beleive cause the guy that did it told me it was the piston rings and now he says it was the head and the head doesnt even look new. my mom had took it in for me up there and told her the receipt was in the glove box. so now i dont know what to beleive. all i know is i got ripped. anyway this is when i left it in wa. so i had all the work redone her cause i was loseing water. anyway so the mechanic here in ca told me there were bolts loose. anyway so ya i'll pull the plugs tomorrow and see. i wouldnt doubt the fuel filter is the original cause its a motorcraft. thanks for the replies.

i have another sudjestion could it be my throttle (butterfly) needs to be cleaned with carb cleaner? if so i can just take it out and spray the throttle wont hurt anyway. before i pull it out do i need to replace the gasket or is there a o-ring? im gonna take the plugs out tomorrow iam running autolites and i hear people have issues with them. but like i said its fine when its all warmed up. also someone on here said if i prime it with the key a few times with the key and it doesnt do it there is an issue i forgot what he said. when its a cold start or if it sits for a few hours it has that miss. just looking for ideas. thanks

Couldn't hurt to clean the throttle body, but I really doubt it would cause your symptoms. Might be a better idea to clean the MAF sensor if you havn't done that yet.

no i havent done that. can i clean that with carb or brake cleaner? also i got a sour gas smell every once in a while kinda smells burn too. i get that smell after i drive it only. thanks for the reply.

mine is doing this too.
2000 sport 4.0 ohv engine .
shakes a bit for 30 seconds or so during warmup then smooths out .

what could be causing this?

i have replaced nearly everything...lol

new head gaskets
new intake gaskets
new upper plenum gaskets
new radiator
new hoses
new plugs
newer wires

could it be timing chain related???
motor has 135,000
it was leaking antifreeze from everywhere,thats why we had all the gaskets done .
now i have a small leak at the timing cover yet.

other than this shaky startup it runs great.

ideas???

bump ........any ideas guys?

on the 4.0 ohv engine the tensioner for the timing chain works off oil pressure .so i,m thinking the few seconds it takes to get the oil pressure up is during the time of the shaking .once pressure is up tensioner would be tight asnd no more shaking .

sound right to you guys??

today it done this longer than usual.anyone else???

help.......!!!
somebody must have been thru this and knows the fix??did not always do this.
truck going in this thursday for timing chain and related parts replacement .
i,ll let you know if it still does this after the work is done.

could be a fuel injector

no i havent done that. can i clean that with carb or brake cleaner? also i got a sour gas smell every once in a while kinda smells burn too. i get that smell after i drive it only. thanks for the reply.

i used a gun cleaner on my MAF sensor and it worked great

94 explorer. Shakes for 30 seconds then goes away. has a sputter when you rev the engine. im thinking maybe a fuel filter i never changed it.
Did you ever figure out your problem?

Back