shift kits | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

shift kits

Mudbug

Reaction score
I am rebuilding my a4ld and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with any shift kits. I would like to find out whats available and whats the best for the money.
Michael Gentile
92 XLT 4x4
mildly modified

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not sure if these are the best, but it's a source to start with.

Dead Link Removed

FM

B&M has no applications for the A4ld except for their vacuum switch shift point contrioller.

Trans Go has a shift correction kit, info on the trans exchange website: http://www.teleport.com/~txchange/transgo.htm.

I have one more in my notes but cant find the info. Ill see If I can dig it up.

I've read many reader's comments on the B&M vaccuum shift improver kit - TRASH. It just creats a vaccuum leak to change shift points and will not improve shift crispness, nor is it effective under full throttle.

The TransGo kit goes into the valve body of the trans. There is new gasket, springs, drill bits, etc to drill new pinholes and change the shift programming. I spoke with the tech and said it cures the 3-4 gear hunting and makes nice firm shifts (not slams) under any load.

My A4LD kit is still in the box (arrrgghhh!) however I have used this product on a, dare I say (Jeep) with GREAT results. I will look for the internet address where I ordered. I had it in my hand in 3 days, I think it was $20.

...actually, If you want mine (unopened in box with instructions) for $15 as I dont know when I'll get to installing it if ever. (My SHO takes up more time and is more daily fun... tinker, tinker, tinker)

Anyway, I recommend the TransGo, good luck. Pat.

I,ll take it.

KTMpat,
Deal. I could use one of these for my 91.
Tell me, does it use plates that attach to the valve body like the B&M or just springs and new holes?
Anyway, E-mail me and tell me where to send the money.
Thanks,
Warren

wbacus@bwn.net

Wabbit, okay, but I'm at work now, when I get home, I'll email you what all is in the kit/description. You'll love what it does to the trans, less slippage equals cooler trans temperatures too. I love what it did for my Jeep Cherokee. R/ Pat

Sounds good...

I'll hear from you then.

Thanks,
Warren

KTMpat-

Pardon my ignorance, but did a 91 SHO come with a yammie engine, or is that something you did yourself?

Shift kit and Taurus powertrain...

MudBug - I have a trushift shift kit in my A4LD and it is working great. Had to have my tranny rebuilt a few months back... shifts very firm now

Tommy2K
The original Taurus SHO had a Yamaha 3.0 liter v-6 with app 220hp - quite a powerplant. How bout one of those in you Splorer???

JonM

Yamaha

Originally posted by JonM
Tommy2K-
The original Taurus SHO had a Yamaha 3.0 liter v-6 with app 220hp - quite a powerplant. How bout one of those in you Splorer???

JonM

What year was the 'original' SHO? and, maybe an even dummer question, how tough would it be to get it in my rig? :D

Tommy2k,
I don't remember what year was the original SHO - 88-90, I believe. However - no torque to speak of. The enginge was designed to deliver all of the power at higher RPM's (similar to the GT). You would need to swap transmissions, motor mounts and all sorts of stuff to make it work. But - a very reliable engine that would turn your truck into a sleeper!:D

JonM

Dreaming...

Now ya got me dreaming, damnit! I wonder....What it would take to get one in, and I wonder if it would be worth it?

Anybody have any thoughts?

:yelexp:

T

quite the contrary

The SHO motor has tremendous torque and its fairly linear. There is an elaborate intake system with dual-porting and 10.5:1 c/r to provide low-end power. One of the sweet attributes is the 200+ lbs of torque delivered from low rpm to redline. Torque is everywhere in the rpm range... it doesn't run out, it keeps going till rev-limiter kicks in. The SHOs have tall gears which makes it seem less torqey. However, and here's a treat, once I broke one of my shift cables and the trans stuck in 3rd gear. I was able to drive home with little trouble, as the power could take off from stop in 3rd gear (slip clutch and no chugging!) then cruise freeway at 60 mph comfortably (about 4000 rpm I think).

While currently mated to a Mazda 5 speed, they are unique and used in kit cars alot. But it will be very custom trying to make it work in an Explorer. Engine are expensive and hard to find. 1989-1995 for the 3.0L, then there was a 3.2L with automatic trans (no fun), until Yamaha went with a small V8 (same power- 230hp).

Bottom line - fuggetaboudit :) go with 5.0 just my 2cents.
Pat

My nephew has an SHO. It is mounted on a Transaxle (front wheel drive). I don't think anyone wants to try and convert this engine to rear wheel drive for an Explorer. If so, GOOD LUCK!

Back