Shift lock not working, no Cruise Control | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shift lock not working, no Cruise Control

inkuyo

Reaction score
City, State
Bothell, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer XLT
I admit, I screwed up hooking up my brakes for my trailer. When I went to connect the 'red' wire for the brake controller sensor, I connected to to the 'red' line on the brake switch. I checked the line with a light detector 3 times to verify I had the right wire. Needless to say, it was the WRONG WIRE.

In essence when I pressed the brake, I fried some wires. I fried the red and black wires. The red wire goes from the connector to a grouping of other red wires. I replaced this wire from the harness to the grouping. The black wire goes from the harness to a grouping with a piece of copper connecting the group (tapes with electrical tape). I replaced this entire length. The brake switch is now wire correctly (to the green/red wire) and works with the trailer.

What's Wrong?
The shift locker won't work when the brake is pressed.
The Cruise Control doesn't work either? (I manually dis-engaged the shift locker)

This points to fuse #10 on the side panel, put it is good, and when removed the door chime goes crazy as an indication that the fuze is out.

Any ideas? Did I fried the shift locker? maybe my wiring is not all done correctly?

I have not taken of the fuse panel yet, going to look at it this morning. Maybe the wires fried elsewhere. Thanks for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check all fuses... whenever you have an "unexpected melt down". You will likely find that there is another one or two gone. PS. I think there are two feed to the shift lock system.

I checked the fuses twice, but will run thru them again. I also took apart the brake lamp switch and verified it is working just fine.

I hope that your checks are with a meter. The "surest" way to work your problem, especially since you already have "played" with the shift lock system, is to go and check for voltage coming into the module and then go from there.

shopped

Ironically my wife got rear ended and when it was in the show I decided to have them fix it. The wires were just not all tightly connected to the harness and the stoplight switch.

Dealer fixed it. It all works. A $400 mistake. kind of like measure twice cut once, should have checked the wires a 2nd time.

Back