Passenger door lock not working, weak? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Passenger door lock not working, weak?

yeahokay

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer EB 5.0
Since the rap is now replaced and my key fob works it makes sense that a single door now has lock/unlock problems.

When I hit the button or key fob all doors lock/unlock except passenger the actuator sounds like it is trying to do something but is t able to lock or unlock? Bad actuator? Something else I should look at?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check wiring to actuator for high resistance. These harnesses have splices in them that corrode, decreasing power available to the actuator.

Check wiring to actuator for high resistance. These harnesses have splices in them that corrode, decreasing power available to the actuator.
Is there any trick to to getting the pigtail unplugged? I dont feel any clips, or is there another place to measure at that I am not thinking of?

I went ahead and started the process of removing it until I could get to the pigtail, when I got to the pigtail I measured it for voltage and it gets about 10.5 volts. Im guess that is low, I would think it needs 12v. If it does need 12v, where might i be losing voltage where does it normally corrode at?

Maybe run twelve volt power directly from the battery to the actuator. See if that works, and whether the problem is inadequate power…

Good luck.

I pulled it, and the actuator only works going down with direct 12v power. Im pretty sure its just reversing polarity to go up or down, so Im ordering a new one.

That video helped a lot. I got the door actuator replaced but still not working…. Any ideas? I have 10.5v to the actuator it was mentioned the wire can be corroded somewhere any idea where to look for that?

Does the lock knob move easily up and down manually? I had a problem where the lock knob wouldn't move upwards with key FOB or door button...and, was difficult to pull upwards manually. Turned out the small spring inside the door latch had broken and was jammed and not allowing free movement.

Does the lock knob move easily up and down manually? I had a problem where the lock knob wouldn't move upwards with key FOB or door button...and, was difficult to pull upwards manually. Turned out the small spring inside the door latch had broken and was jammed and not allowing free movement.
It does move easily up and down on its own. I’m going to swap the relay tomorrow and see if it might be the relay.

Ok the door actuator is working. I think there might be a wire corroded somewhere. The battery was low as it’s been sitting for a bit all other door locks worked but the passenger was clicking. Once the battery was charged it started working. anyways for now all good with the assumption somewhere a wire is still lose or corroded.

If the exterior door handle is wonky, it will not push the short rod high enough, to the " home" position. This will hinder door lock actuator. Try pushing up on that rod while actuating door lock

If the exterior door handle is wonky, it will not push the short rod high enough, to the " home" position. This will hinder door lock actuator. Try pushing up on that rod while actuating door lock
Nah the handle worked fine inside and out. I think this was/is a combination of a corroded wire and a bad actuator. The actuator at this point was for sure bad. With the low battery that single new actuator did not lock or unlock with the low battery. Once the battery was charged it works like the rest of them. I went through every door lock thread I could find and my symptoms did not match anything I could find. I’m sure the actuator was bad as the motor had very little resistance compared to the new one. But I still think I have a corroded wire somewhere that is causing a slight continuity issue. I think this actuator might be getting just enough power to work with a full battery.

Back