• Register Today It's free!

Shift motor help!

jerry49337

Reaction score
City, State
Newaygo, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 ford explorer
ok so it wont go into 4low but 4hi&2hi are fine i pulled off the shift motor from the tcase and hit the buttons 4x4 goes in position just fine but when i hit 4low(neutral,foot on brake,clutch disengaged,in 4x4) the motor just snaps back to 2hi position. is there a way to rebuild the shift motor or am i on the wrong track? any help would be appreciated this is my first x. let alone my first 4x4. thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have seen new ones go pretty cheap...I went another route...switched my auto hubs for manuals and ditched the shift motor for a shiftster. Now it is completely manual and for the way I use 4x4 it suits me just fine. I can't tell you how many times, explorers, blazers, etc that I have had that the auto 4x4s always crapped out. I will never buy a 4x4 again with auto hubs..I don't care which make...they are crap...

They sell rebuild kits cheap but new ones are cheap also

Thanks for all the help!! i got a new one on order last night. i couldnt find any rebuild kits locally so i just bought a new one, maybe ill keep the old one and rebuild it for a spare. thanks again...

thank you, i will keep that link for future reference and pass it along if needed!!:exp:

4x4 manual hubs!!!!

can anybody give any suggestions on manual hubs for my 91 ex (manuf.,website,etc.) thanx. i really want to get rid of the autos, for a decent price

The new warn jeep hubs are the best.search on here for the part number

Shift motor help

Look under explorer/ranger transmission, transfer case and differintals. Brian has posted an excellent sticky on rebuilding the shift motor. Save you cost of a new one.

Just a friendly little reminder to you newer Explorer Folkz here, this gadget of ours may be the best $60.00 trail repair part you ever buy-----or even as a full time alternative like so many others have done. Really, it's pretty damn easy to operate and is bullet proof. Just takes a little pre-planning on the users part, so that they get their front axles locked before they get too far into the muck.

I think we just sold our 120th Shiftster the other day (to a customer in Australia in fact), all in just the last fourteen months. Which is kinda cool, given that we don't really advertise it much except on three other truck forums. But I think we're going full-auto this fall, and really start pushing this thing. 'Cuz there's about 4 million electrically shifted B/Warner t-cases out there, on a variety of vehicles. The F-Series, both the Broncos, Explorers, Expeditions, Rangers, the Mountaineer, some Dodges & Mazdas...and even the Mercedes ML320 (for some odd reason :D ).

Anyways, just wanted to letcha all know-----please carry on Kidz....:D

Shiftster-1Ultimatealbum007-1-2.jpg

Shiftster-1Installation010.jpg

ShiftsteronaML320inOz.jpg

Landersroadtrip1-23-2011259Large-1-1-1.jpg

Landersroadtrip1-23-2011260Large-1.jpg

Back