Shift problems with auto trans | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shift problems with auto trans

jeffd

Reaction score
My 95 4x4 has a problem with the o/d shifting. It shifts fine through 3rd gear, but when going into o/d the trans drops down a gear, then back up again. I will do this 2 or 3 times, then settle into o/d and leave the tach at 2000 rpm. Then while driving down a flat raod, the tach will jump to 2500 or so, and back down again. Sometimes it does this for a few miles, some times it shifts fine. After a long drive (4 hours) the trans does this weird shifting thing so much I tried turning off the o/d. Even with the o/d turned off, the shifting thing continued. When I tried using the cruise, the o/d light blinked twice with the o/d turned on, I tried it with the o/d off, the light again blinked twice. Today, it shifted better, but still jumped the tach a few times. HELP!!!!

Bad news

That's about how mine started..... The biggest difference is that mine would race up to about 4000rpms then I'd lose my butt and take my foot off the petal. I would surly give it a look over. Start by changing the filter and flushing ALL the fluid. If it's still under warranty I'd let them take a look at it too.

Odds are that it's something simple and I'm overdoing all of this......lets hope so anyways.

From what I have experienced in the last month, the 95 exploder/ranger do not have a A4LD tranny, it is something like 5R55E.
Anyway, it sounds like you are maybe a pint low on tranny fluid. Check it Hot (in Haynes manual), also for color (sh be more red than brown) and smell(NOT burnt). If you can't remember the last time the fluid was changed, now's the time. Someone posted a very good detailed process here, search in all forums. grab a friend and some beer and put AMSoil or Redline synthetic in it.

Back