• Register Today It's free!

Shifting from a stopped position

david7889

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Hood, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer Sport
When at a stopped position I have difficulty getting transmission into any gear (manual). I was told it may be clutch or fluid level. Changed out both, no difference. I was hoping that It may be the linkage. My question is can I access the linkage mechanisms by removing the boot on the shifter and servicing it from the cab? If I can get to the linkage from the cab, any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this problem. I want to try easy fixes before I get transmission R&R. Temporarily, If I roll to a stop in second gear with the clutch depressed until I stop, It goes into 1st gear easily when I am stopped.

1997 Ford Explorer Sport 4X2
Engine: V6 4.0L OHC
Trans: M5R1

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Turns out it is a mess in there. Have not rebuilt it yet, but there is a vid at utube, search Changing a Shifter Repair kit on a Mazda B2300, exact same as mine I believe.

Sounds like a synchronizer probem to me. Either way, you need to pull the trans. The "linkage" is in the top cover, but there isn't much to go wrong there other than a worn shift fork.

Try bleeding the clutch may still have air in it from replacing it. Its free...at least :D

Yeah, air trapped in the clutch line could do it too.

Back