shifting in to Gear after transmission replaced | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

shifting in to Gear after transmission replaced

fordtim

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Explorer Sport
2008 sport trac limited 4.0. Started having transmission issues. I had a transmission shop replace the transmission with a rebuilt transmission. I don't think they know what they are doing, and don't want to take it back to them. Issue I'm having: Sometimes the truck will not start while in park. I jiggle the shifter and it starts. Place the truck in drive or reverse, it just sit there, but if I shift back to park then back to drive or reverse it eventually catch. What could this be? I've been told that it could be the Manual shift position sensor. If that is the case, is it difficult to replace? Where would this sensor be located? Would any adjustment be needed? Could another sensor cause this issue? I hope this tranny doesn't need to be dropped. Thanks and any advise would be appreciated. Thanks

If you can possibly see the sensor lines, check them before you take it loose, also make sure the two bolts holding it in place are tight. Just send me a message if you need anything.

Sounds like the Neutral Safety Switch, Transmission Range Sensor, or Manual Shift Sensor, whatever you'd like to call it (or them). Simple to replace, and simple to check. Just crawl under the vehicle, on the drivers side of the transmission where your shift cable/linkage goes to take the nut holding that on (be careful it will be tight, don't break your cable taking it loose (use a socket, not a wrench preferably). Once you take that off the shift cable will just pull off the rod, the box with wires behind it is your TRS. Two bolts hold it in position, take those loose and it will come off. Two marks (dots, or lines) line up in the "neutral" position. If it is a little bit off this could be causing your problem,

Back