Shifting Problems, any help is appreciated | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shifting Problems, any help is appreciated

Abraxsis

Reaction score
City, State
Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
Ive noticed recently that when I have the cruise control set, or even when Im driving with the pedal, i find that my X needs a little goose on the gas to get it to either shift up, or down. (Im not sure which it has to do Im not good with shift patterns, but I figure its a shift up to a higher gear, or a downshift, which it would be obvious that it would have to be one of those heh). It happens when Im running about 70-75 and say I get behind someone going really slow and my speed drops below 65, I have to goose the gas to get the RPMs up to about 3k to get the X to kick in. It like the RPMs get locked at about 2500 at that speed, and I have to goose it to get it to go past that. And when it does shift its not REAL hard but it isnt a smooth shift either. Im not real familar with shift patterns, so sorry if this is kinda vague. Id greatly appreciate any help anyone can give me. Thanks.
Oh Yeah

93 X EB 4WD
4.0L
A4LD tranny

Im pretty sure thats how mine used to run, it needed that little bump for the cruiseo kick, of course I did burn up three trannies :banghead: Pretty sur thatsnormal for those years...

Back