Shifts weird from 1st to 2nd then wrench ligh comes on | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shifts weird from 1st to 2nd then wrench ligh comes on

ffulton84

Reaction score
City, State
Crandall
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer XLT
2007 XLT 4.0 when I leave a stop sign or start driving it acts like it doesn't want to shift out of 1st gear and has no power then a wrench light comes on. Let foot off of throttle then press again a couple of times then shifts and drives fine after that. I have checked fluid and it is full. Please help.

Go get the powertrain code pulled that will give you an idea of whats happening. My best guess is an electrical issue or the common servo bore issue on the 5r55 transmission.

I had a similar problem with my 2007 Explorer, 4.0, 4X4. It wouldn't get out of first gear until I hit 23 MPH, and then would shift (slam) into 3rd. I had 1st, 3rd, 4th and 5th until 5th gear crapped out a couple weeks later. Autozone code said it was the transmission control solenoid. Took it to a transmission guy, and his code tester confirmed it was the solenoid.

I had it replaced and the transmission shifts better than I can recall it working in the past.

The solenoid is pricy ($450 or so), but if the wire from the car that plugs into the solenoid is good, it's only about an hour to replace it. In my case, the wire to the solenoid was bad (another $100 for the part). and 12 individual wires need to be cut/spliced to install it. He charged me 3 hours for labor.

Back