Shop Manuals....

JNICHOLS

Reaction score
City, State
Port Angeles, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
Hello all,

New to the group....wow what a great resource.....so here is my story.

Just purchased a '00 Explorer XLT...only 52K miles. Purred like a kitten on all the test drives, but I get it home and start it and it sounds like an old desiel VW rabbit!!! It actually only does this on hot starts (maybe 50% of the time) and lasts for a minute or two tops. My research has led me to the 2U3Z-6D256-CA kit for the front timing chain. I feel very comfortable takleing the job but would like to have a manual to reference.

So the question is for those of your who have been around these trucks for a while, which is the best shop manual? Choices would be Haynes, Chilton, or Ford, and if you use the Ford manuals are they really worth the extra expense?

P.S. - Thinking about running SeaFoam...anyone had luck with this product and chain noise...or should I just tear into it and install the kit?

Thanks,

Jeff N.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The generic chilton's manuals are not very good. You can get the Ford Factory Service on CD at:
http://www.service-bulletins.com/
or Ebay. Also for 24.95 you can get a year subscription at:
http://www.alldata.com/
and have access to the manual and more importantly all the TSB's and recalls. The TSB for the timing chain tensioner has a different procedure than the service manual calls for.

Hope this helps,
Scucci

Thanks for the info...I knew about the TSB's at AllData...I will look into their manual listings more closely...just to clarify...the CD manuals at http://www.service-bulletins.com/ say they cover all models of truck/suv for that model year for only $24.95. Has anyone used these? That seems very reasonable as the "paper" Ford manuals I see are in the hundreds. For the price this would seem the way to go as it is only a few $$ more than a Chilton, and I just happen to have a computer in my shop...how convenient is that???

Thanks!!!

I have the manuals from service-bulletins.com. It is an original Ford Dealer CD, not a copy. It is superb.

Scucci

Helm's Manuals are the best. The exact same manual the dealers refer to when repairing the X.

I believe they can be purchased for around $180 from the Helm website.

The $5 ebay cd-roms are more useful than Haynes/Chiltons, but leave much to be desired. They seem to leave out certain relevant information.

Wow...fordcds.com has just what I was looking for (and for my 95 E250, 93 F250 and motorhome chasis)....Thanks BrooklynBay....not sure about the legalities...but oh well...Ford gets enough of our money anyway!!!

Back