Short Journey Coming to an End.... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Short Journey Coming to an End....

Honestly, anyone paying $60k for an Explorer is getting hosed - even $50k! Go get yourself a nice BMW X5 with 4y of free maintenance...yup, it’s a 2.0T but it offers similar performance numbers to the ST #weight

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Honestly, anyone paying $60k for an Explorer is getting hosed - even $50k! Go get yourself a nice BMW X5 with 4y of free maintenance...yup, it’s a 2.0T but it offers similar performance numbers to the ST #weight

What are you talking about? A similarly equipped X5 is going to run almost $80k.

Yes $60k is pricey for a Ford with an interior that still has a few too many plastic bits and a few quality issues coming off the line, but everything it's trying to compete with is in the $70-90k range, so in a way it's a bargain. Believe me, I looked long and hard at BMW, MB, Audi, Land Rover and Porsche before deciding that the ST just has the most bang for the buck.

OP you hit all the issues right on point. Everytime it rains, I pray that im not driving anyone that day. I already changed my blades to Bosch icons and it performed even worse... they definitely measured something wrong. Add the wind noise from the passenger mirror too. My transmission and ride is getting rougher over time.

I can't stand and not in a position to lose money but i would trade it in as well. Just not really happy driving the car.

Now I just floor the gas pedal so I can put a smile on my face.

Believe me, I looked long and hard at BMW, MB, Audi, Land Rover and Porsche before deciding that the ST just has the most bang for the buck.

Only the powertrain (in 3.0 Ecoboost form) and maybe upgraded brake pkg can hang with the big boys. Otherwise the Explorer is losing comparos to ALL the other plebian competition...Highlander, Pilot, Telluride, Palisade, etc. Now to some people, including myself, those are the overriding factors but to most, they are not.

Only the powertrain (in 3.0 Ecoboost form) and maybe upgraded brake pkg can hang with the big boys. Otherwise the Explorer is losing comparos to ALL the other plebian competition...Highlander, Pilot, Telluride, Palisade, etc. Now to some people, including myself, those are the overriding factors but to most, they are not.
I'd take a base xlt over any of those mentioned.
RWD based is just better when its awd.
The Ford is spacious due to better designed interior, and they all have plastic. Most have a poorly designed center console that robs manly leg room. 3rd row headroom is better in the Ford as well which is important to me for cargo height when seat is down. I transport a manual wheelchair back there and the fit is superior to others in this class.

.................RWD based is just better when its awd.
Having gone through most of the Winter, I must say that I felt a little more secure driving in snow in my previous FWD biased AWD vehicles than my current RWD biased AWD. I had the Aviator 'fishtail' a few times, mainly when turning, something I never experienced with my other vehicles. It just doesn't feel as 'planted' as the others I had.

Peter

Having gone through most of the Winter, I must say that I felt a little more secure driving in snow in my previous FWD biased AWD vehicles than my current RWD biased AWD. I had the Aviator 'fishtail' a few times, mainly when turning, something I never experienced with my other vehicles. It just doesn't feel as 'planted' as the others I had.

Peter
When in Slippery mode, its 50/50 awd with no bias. I live in NE with a sloping long driveway and fish tailing only when want to and that's very limited and only in other modes. What it does NOT do which front wheel drive bias does, is steering push on slip, and torque steer under power. Far superior and Ford knows it, so does bmw and MB.

Thank you. I was in 'Normal' mode when this happened. The same mode as I used in my previous vehicles under similar conditions. I'll try 'Slippery' if I get the chance.

Peter

Yeah, I wanted to get the 20 X5, but with all the options it was over 80K. Go get yourself a cheap X5 for 60K is a no go. They dont even have a back up standard and with your 4 cylider 2.0 engine you cannot compare it to ST.
What are you talking about? A similarly equipped X5 is going to run almost $80k.

Yes $60k is pricey for a Ford with an interior that still has a few too many plastic bits and a few quality issues coming off the line, but everything it's trying to compete with is in the $70-90k range, so in a way it's a bargain. Believe me, I looked long and hard at BMW, MB, Audi, Land Rover and Porsche before deciding that the ST just has the most bang for the buck.

Yeah, the starting price is 72K for BMW X5 4.4 Liter V8 2020. It would probably be another 15K for options that ST has. No way to settle with a weaker 3.0 inline V6.

Peter

Fishtailing is fun lol.. you need to get out more.

Where you feel it fishtail, the fwd version would cause wheel spin and straight forward (with no turning available) movement while spinning till the rears kick in. I always experienced it starting too quickly in snow.

Got the Explorer ST for my mother because the X5 was not an option - I already own the X7...;)

I must be blessed. Slightly over 6k in the 5 weeks since I bought it. No issues. No one to trust the PDI peeps, I checked my tires. They were at 50 psi. Lowered to factory specs. I also did a complete reboot of the Sync3 on the suggestion of the salesperson before leaving the dealership. Not sure where this missing tow hook issue comes from. If it bother one that badly, just buy the damn thing and get on with your life. Besides which, Curt and Reese make a slide in for the factory hitch that makes a tow eye look like child's play.
81owaY7swtL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Back