• Register Today It's free!

Should I buy an 02 XLT?

kyexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
berea
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 xlt
I am in a heck of a dillema. The story: I have an 87 suburban 4x4 which I have owned since '90 . Well, the 'ol tank now has 205k miles and it's time for something new. Can't afford brand new (3 kids). Been looking around, and the new explorers have really caught my eye. Have seen some good deals on several 02 X's with less than 50k miles. I though, hell that's just broke in. But upon some internet investigation (that's how I found this site by the way), I am seeing tons of problems with the tranny and rear end. That's really a shame because they look so damn good. So, a couple of questions, Is there anyone out there who hasn't had any trouble with their 02 or newer with more than 40k miles? What year should I buy? How about an 01 or 00? Or what about a Trailblazer? I only want to buy "American". No imports.
Help me out people, love the X's, but rather than deal with some of the nightmares I read about.... I'll keep drivin the ol' tank!!! Thanks, Bryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, there have been more than average rear axle problems and transmission problems. I'd get a rare and elusive '02 four door stick if I were you :thumbsup: But Ford is figuring it out. Some others may feel differently on this, but I would suggest getting a decent warranty if you're not buying from a private owner.

You did your research on Explorers and found problems. Curious to know, what are your findings on the Trailblazers?

It all depends on what kind of performance your looking for from an explorer. The '02 and newer have a much more on road appeal and the full independent suspention gear it more towars the road. Is you're lookinbg for something with a little more potential, I would look at an '00 or '01. Its all about the solid rear axle baby!

I guess Trailblazers aren't bad. I have two pairs of anuts/uncles that have them and I haven't heard anything bad. One is a '02 and the other is an '03 If I remember right. Might have been a '03 and an '04. At any rate they haven't really complained except a few times, the older one had a few electrical glitches. Gauges would die off for no reason, and once the door locks kept cycling for hours. Ca-razy. One of them is used often to drive through the woods to my uncle's northern Michigan cabin in the snow and all.

I'm not a Chevy fan and I don't think many of you are here, but I don't think they have any major drawbacks.

Just be aware that 2002 was the first year of that body style... They are still real nice rides, but I'd hold out for an '03...

I mentioned elsewhere the 02's seemed to have more than their share of problems....why I do not know. If I were buying an Ex.. 02 might be a year i'd pass on.

I bought an 02 X with 87,000 for 14k. i check and all the maintance was done and on time. no problems to date (5 months) but I did have to replace the 4x4 computer $300 including labor. i like my rig though.

The trailblazers, during the first year had engine problems. The cylinder liners would come lose and cause a cracked piston leading to engine replacement. This was only on certain models made in a specific location, i forget where. as for the X, i'd pass on 02 and hold out till 03 if you could.

Luuuuv my '97. 110K with nary a major problem. Replaced one wheel bearing. Everything else has been minor and easily fixed by my resident mechanic (that would be me, knocking on wood).

Thanks for all the input people. I amy just hold out for a good 03 when the price drops a little. I would mainly be using for a pavement vehicle. Maybe gravel roads on occasion, no serious offroading. I plan on hanging on to the tank and using it for a fun rig where I don't have to worry about scratches and spilled beer ;) Of course the Suburban has a long wheel base making it vulnerable to high centering. But that damn thing goes about anywhere. Here are the ratings for the 02 Blazer and X according to MSN:

Blazer:
http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Reliability.aspx?modelid=9977&src=vip

X:
http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/reviews.aspx?modelid=9948&trimid=-1&src=ratings&tab=4#rel

Looks like the Blazer has slightly higher ratings. I looked at all the consumer reviews on there, that's where the red flag came up on the 02 X and the drivetrain issues. Check 'em out...

looks like the trailblazer has slightly higher mechanical ratings, but safety is really crappy

I agree; maybe the tranny/rear end probs are with the V6's. I have an '02 XLT V8, 46k miles, no problems. the 4.6l should last quite a long time. smooth ride. solid towing. 3rd row seat will be appreciated by your 3 kids and their friends. side curtain airbags for safety. good price. reasonable insurance rates. And it looks good (in my opinion).

I love mine...

Back