Should I flush the a/c first or take it to a shop | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Should I flush the a/c first or take it to a shop

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XLT
Just bought an Ex and when I turn the a/c on it makes a loud ERRRRRR sound.The young guy I bought it off of said the a/c didn't work for him and he only owned the Ex for 6 months. I've been told it might be the compressor clutch, but maybe I should flush the a/c first. So should I flush it or just take it to a shop and let them tell me what's wrong? Since I live in Canada and bought the Ex in another province I have to have it inspected before I can insure it in my province. Is this something that they will check when they inspect it? I'd like to have it fixed but $$ is tight with all the other things I HAVE to fix before they inspect it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you need to, the A/C Compressor can be bypassed with a shorter belt. That's the way mine is. When you go to the parts store, just tell them you need the belt for either "without a/c", or you can search for a 1990 Ford Ranger 4.0L without A/C.

Also, under the hood, you'll see a diagram of how the belt runs, it lists both ways, either with A/C or without A/C. I have no idea about inspections, whether it be in the U.S. or Canada, but it doesn't make sense to me that the A/C has to perform in order to pass.

Good Luck with it.

Based on your profile, I assume you have a 92. If so, then it may still have an R12 freon system which is very expensive to recharge. If so, and if you do need a compressor, you should consider converting to R134.

Based on your profile, I assume you have a 92. If so, then it may still have an R12 freon system which is very expensive to recharge. If so, and if you do need a compressor, you should consider converting to R134.
How can I tell if I have an R12 or R134? I'm not that mechanically inclined. When I pop the hood, what do I look for?

i also have a 92 and mine was from factory with r134

Look at the fittings for the high & low pressure.. The R134a look like these..
Low pressure near the accumulator
FT%207609A.gif

High side
FT%207608.gif

I would take it to someone professionally unless you have the tools.. To properly refill a AC system you'll need a set of manifold gauges, a vaccuum pump, thermometer, etc..

I say just rip the whole A/C system out and free up some space under the hood!!

I've wanted to remove the system for a while and have been trying to find posts on what/how to remove the whole system - compressor, lines, refrigerant, etc. From what I've read though, the gases are toxic, so i don't want to poke around until someone posts some good pics and "how to"!!!

On an old truck like our Ex's I don't think it's worth fixing the A/C once she blows (unless a cheap fix)...after all, we live in Canada! haha

If you don't want the AC, I suggest just bypassing the compressor by getting a 4.0 non AC belt. If you start tearing it apart, where do you stop? Are you going to pull the condensor and evaporator? You're liable to cause more problems. Keep in mind, once you disable the AC, it limits the effectivness of the defroster. Just my 2 cents...

If you don't want the AC, I suggest just bypassing the compressor by getting a 4.0 non AC belt. If you start tearing it apart, where do you stop? Are you going to pull the condensor and evaporator? You're liable to cause more problems. Keep in mind, once you disable the AC, it limits the effectivness of the defroster. Just my 2 cents...
The thing is, I DO want the a/c. Not right now mind you cause the snows gonna fly soon, but I would really like to know what is wrong with it. If I have to I'll bypass it for now, but it would be nice to know if things are going to have to be replaced.

Based on your initial post, it sounds like the sound you hear is the compressor. It could just be the clutch which is cheaper and easier to fix than the entire compressor. If you continue to run it with a bad clutch, you can blow up the entire compressor which means more $$. If you're not ready to fix it at this point, I suggest bypassing it with the non AC belt to avoid further damage.

Ya...I want to tear everything out!! So as it would be if it came from the factory with no a/c. My a/c hasn't worked since I've had it...as long as I get warm air out...the defroster works fine in the winter.

Anyhow...I won't hijack this post...just hoping someone might check in that's totally ripped out the a/c.

Back