Should I go with 5x7's or convert to 6.5's | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Should I go with 5x7's or convert to 6.5's

Right now, I think the available combo plate speakers (I think thats what you meant, mid, tweeter, and crossover together) are just 4x6's, with a 4" mid and usually a 1/2" to 1" tweeter. There may be a larger combo out there in some brand, but I imagine a 5.25" mid with a tweeter is the biggest plate speaker that would fit in the 6x8 opening.

I believe Pioneer used to make a 6x8 plate speaker, though I can't remember what the mid size was. They were pretty expensive, too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I agree, it may have been a 5.25" woofer etc. in a Crutchfield magazine a year ago.

Somone mentioned an adapter plate for 6x8 to 6.5". Where can I get one of those? I imagine some cutting is still involved?

Heres all I did to put 6.5s in my 2005. Level of difficulty 2. Just traced and then cut the little notch out to let the panel mount back on.

eDsubs006.jpg

eDsubs008.jpg

Hey man how thick is that spacer ring and how deep are those mids? I've got Koda comps and wondering how much space I've got to work with. The mids are 3" deep, I was able to fit them in the doors of my Taurus with just a 6x8-6.5 adapter, but I'm not sure about my Explorer. I've got an '03 so I'd think they'd be the same

Give Clarion a shot. Try the SRC5796 - they are actual 2 drivers mounted on a plate instead of a coaxial design. Price-wise they're actually pretty good if not cheap. The US site says $169 (but thats probably old). I got it for CAN$80 /pair. They won't be high end but it's way better in terms of sound reproduction compared to oem.

http://www.clarion.com/us/en/produc...s/SRC5796/us-en-product-pf_1165294763078.html

Type R's are good speakers - but not the best. I have 2 type R subs and used to have type R coaxials all around. I ended up changing the fronts to clarions. They produced cleaner and provided more clarity over the type R drivers.

ditto. Thats what I have...love em.

Back