Should I upgrade to the 4th gen? Dilemma | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Should I upgrade to the 4th gen? Dilemma

Didn't realize you needed to tow that much.

I honestly feel the 5r55 isnt made to hold up to the hp/torque of the V8, and it certainly isn't made to hold up to towing.
It's rated for up to 550 HP stock according to the Mustang forums. Some threads vary.

A stock 4.6 won't touch it's max. Third gear is supposed to be its week point.

As far as towing, it's probably the going in and out of overdrive constantly that speeds up the servo bore issue.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the body is rust free and in great shape I would just keep it. Interesting about the towing capacity, I would think the Liberty would be the same or more than the Explorer because of it having a solid axle vs IRS. Wranger Unlimited should fit but costly...

Liberty in 4WD trim has a tow rating of 2,000 lbs. There's more to it than just what type of axle is out back. My moms Aviator with IRS can tow the same as my 01 with Solid Axle.

It's rated for 550 HP according to the Mustang forums.

I wouldn't trust a stock 5r55 to hold up RELIABLY with 400hp, forget 550. Perhaps that 550 figure was with upgraded internals?

As far as towing, it's probably the going in and out of overdrive constantly that speeds up the servo bore issue.

Does everyone not know that overdrive is supposed to always be turned off when towing?! heh

Does everyone not know that overdrive is supposed to always be turned off when towing?! heh

You'd be surprised how many people frequently tow and don't know not to use overdrive when towing. Mostly people with campers and boats.

You'd be surprised how many people frequently tow and don't know not to use overdrive when towing. Mostly people with campers and boats.

With all the technology these days I see no reason why vehicle manufactures can not make them automatically disable overdrive whenever there is something plugged into the trailer lights connector.

On a different note, didn't want to make a separate post for this. I believe it was the Jeep Commander I meant to recommend and not the Liberty. They look very much alike but the Commander is available with the 5.7L HEMI V8.

Also, might be too big for the OP, but I am kind of liking the 3rd gen (2011+) Dodge Durango.

I looked at some pics of 4th Gen Explorers on CarMax and I really feel like 3rd gen to 4th gen explorer is a downgrade to me. The interior of the 3rd gen is far better IMO, not to mention going back to single dual filament headlights is also a downgrade (I would not be able to run HID high beams with normal low beams on one). Also dislike the console shiftier, waste of space IMO, prefer column shiftiers.

the reason only Ford transmissions have to turn off OD to tow is because Ford trans suck.

GM Tow/Haul mode LOVES to lock up in OD and stay there. I hate turning 3,000+ rpm to go 75 mph because no OD... I tow in OD with my explorer anyways. I mean the transmission is 90% guaranteed to die already.

Try looking at a Trail Blazer or Envoy. They are far better than Explorers. Real 1500 duty Brakes, Transmission,Cooling and Suspension. They come in either a straight 6 that will never die and makes more power than the 4.6L V8 or the 5.3L V8 which makes heaps more HP and Torque and will last a long time..

If you truly love your explorer buy or get your transmission rebuilt and upgraded. I DO NOT recommend Jasper. Currently in the middle of a horrible engine situation with them.

Joe I rebuilt my neighbor's Jasper 4L60E at 37,000 miles. I was not impressed looking at the condition of the internals, the pump in particular I could not concieve any professional putting that back in. It looked literally like it had been dragged down a gravel road for a mile. From that point forward when people speak as though Jasper is a holy grail I just roll my eyes. Also I am not a transmission builder by trade, but my neighbor always remarks on how much better my build shifts as compared to Jasper.

the reason only Ford transmissions have to turn off OD to tow is because Ford trans suck.

GM Tow/Haul mode LOVES to lock up in OD and stay there. I hate turning 3,000+ rpm to go 75 mph because no OD... I tow in OD with my explorer anyways. I mean the transmission is 90% guaranteed to die already.

Try looking at a Trail Blazer or Envoy. They are far better than Explorers. Real 1500 duty Brakes, Transmission,Cooling and Suspension. They come in either a straight 6 that will never die and makes more power than the 4.6L V8 or the 5.3L V8 which makes heaps more HP and Torque and will last a long time..

If you truly love your explorer buy or get your transmission rebuilt and upgraded. I DO NOT recommend Jasper. Currently in the middle of a horrible engine situation with them.

So I'm actively shopping for a replacement for my 01 Explorer, and GMT360 SUVs were on the top of my list. However, after looking at probably 20 of them, I find them to be a bit cheap with materials that dont hold up particularly well, and the 4L60E is not regarded as a reliable transmission by anyone. Suburban and Tahoe owners have complained about failures with as little as 30K miles on them.

Also, Ford transmissions arent the only transmissions that are suggested to tow with OD off, every transmission is. Tow/haul mode IS NOT the same as OD off.
With all the technology these days I see no reason why vehicle manufactures can not make them automatically disable overdrive whenever there is something plugged into the trailer lights connector.

On a different note, didn't want to make a separate post for this. I believe it was the Jeep Commander I meant to recommend and not the Liberty. They look very much alike but the Commander is available with the 5.7L HEMI V8.

Also, might be too big for the OP, but I am kind of liking the 3rd gen (2011+) Dodge Durango.

I looked at some pics of 4th Gen Explorers on CarMax and I really feel like 3rd gen to 4th gen explorer is a downgrade to me. The interior of the 3rd gen is far better IMO, not to mention going back to single dual filament headlights is also a downgrade (I would not be able to run HID high beams with normal low beams on one). Also dislike the console shiftier, waste of space IMO, prefer column shiftiers.

1) The problem with having a vehicle automatically disabling OD if something is plugged in, is it would have to be factory wiring, and there would need to be a way for the vehicle to know whether it's a trailer, or a hitch mounted accessory. You dont want OD to get disabled because you installed a hitch mounted backup sensor, or skull with red lights that go on with the brakes. Also, if youre towing and you dont do the appropriate research to know to disable OD, that's on you.

2) The Commander is very closely related to the WK Grand Cherokees, and the Durango rides on the same frame as the WK2 Grand Cherokee.

3) After putting thousands of miles of wheel time in on my mom's 04 Aviator (which has the console shifter) it has grown on me, but im not a fan of the shifter assembly they used compared to the Aviator and Navigator. Also, I had an 03 Mountaineer which was dual filament, and my 01 is dual filament so I guess that is a moot point for me.

I know many 4L60E vehicles in family and friends. All run great... We have currently 155K on ours. Lots of towing and road trips as well daily driving.

Back