Should I upgrade to the 4th gen? Dilemma | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Should I upgrade to the 4th gen? Dilemma

rayethan

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Mercury Mountaineer
Greetings all. My 2005 Explorer Eddie Bauer is in need of its second replacement transmission. I'm have a serious discussion with myself about whether or not I want to upgrade to the 4th gen.

My 2005 is probably worth about $3k. Aside from the tranny issue, it is in pretty good shape. It runs like a top and has 197,x.. miles on it. It seems like a money pit, but at this point there isn't anything left that I haven't fixed. It has new tires, struts, brakes, steering rack, spark plugs and maybe, another remanufactured transmission. My gut tells me that if I spend $3k and put a new tranny in it, it will still be worth about $3k when I'm done. On the other hand, there isn't anything else left to go wrong for a while.

But, I've been thinking of a 4th gen to replace it. I expect I'll pay about $10k for a 4th gen with a V8 and over 100,x.. miles on it. I like the 4th gens. I like the look. I really like the ride vs. the 3rd gen and I like that they have more features especially when it comes to safety. Oh, and I like the 6R tranny. I use mine for towing which is probably why I'm going on my 3rd 5R tranny. The downside to the 4th gen I see is that I'll be buying an unknown. (And everyone one I've looked at so far has the exhaust manifold issue.)

I just can't make up my mind. I'd appreciate hearing from others.

Thanks,
Ethan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you have the money, I say go for it.

I am a new (since January 2016) and I love my Explorer. It's great on gas (18.5) can tow 5200lbs (with towing package)
and drives very smooth.
It is choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend one.

If you have the money and can get the V8, go for it. If you settle for a V6, I'll laugh at you while I sleep.

Also, probably want at least am '08, the tranny was buggy in at least the first two years. Might post on the 4th gen forum and see what's the best year range.

Having previously owned a 3rd gen, if I had the money to move away from the 2v 4.6 and 5r55 transmission to a 3v 4.6 with a 6R66 transmission, I would do it in a heart beat. It has IMO a better overall exterior look, better interior, more options, and more power.

The interior door opening handles, are detestable.

The interior door opening handles, are detestable.

Considering my rear 2 door handles only work half the time, I'd take them all day long.

Two vehicles I would look at first.

2008-2012 Jeep Liberty
2010+ Toyota 4Runner

If we're suggesting other brands, add the 08-10 Grand Cherokee.

Also, if you dont mind spending a bit more or financing, you can get brand new EcoBoost Ford Flex's for dirt cheap (upwards of $10K on the hood).

If we're suggesting other brands, add the 08-10 Grand Cherokee.

Also, if you dont mind spending a bit more or financing, you can get brand new EcoBoost Ford Flex's for dirt cheap (upwards of $10K on the hood).

Isn't that the vehicle that just killed Ensign Chekov?

Yelchin, 27, a rising actor best known for playing Chekov in the rebooted series, died Sunday after his 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee pinned him against a mailbox pillar and security fence at his home, Los Angeles police said.

The 2015 model-year Grand Cherokees were part of a global recall of 1.1 million vehicles announced by automaker Fiat Chrysler in April, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration records show.

The agency urged the recall because of complaints from drivers who had trouble telling if they had put the automatic transmissions in park. If they were not in park and a driver left the vehicle, it could roll away.

as for the Ford Flex, I don't know why you're adding front wheel drive junk to the discussion. I only added two very comparable rear/four wheel drive vehicles.

Isn't the Jeep Liberty more like the Ford Escape?

Isn't the Jeep Liberty more like the Ford Escape?

Nope, it's RWD (or 4WD), solid axle on leaf springs. Escape is front wheel drive.

750px-2012_Jeep_Liberty_--_NHTSA.jpg

Isn't that the vehicle that just killed Ensign Chekov?

as for the Ford Flex, I don't know why you're adding front wheel drive junk to the discussion. I only added two very comparable rear/four wheel drive vehicles.

1) No, He was driving a refreshed WK2 with that odd ZF made gear selector that Audi uses. The years I suggested are refreshed WK's.

2) It doesn't sound like he's trying to offroad.

2) It doesn't sound like he's trying to offroad.

Off-roading or not has nothing to do with needing RWD on a truck framed vehicle.

Fast forward to 2:12

FWD on a large SUV shaped vehicle is just...dumb as the video shows.

This is not the only situation that it becomes a problem. Careful up a steep wet hill, espectially if you have to stop and restart, and a loaded trunk won't help. No reason to ever get a hitch greater than class II. Snow? stay home! lol

Off-roading or not has nothing to do with needing RWD on a truck framed vehicle.

Fast forward to 2:12

FWD on a large SUV shaped vehicle is just...dumb as the video shows.

This is not the only situation that it becomes a problem. Careful up a steep wet hill, espectially if you have to stop and restart, and a loaded trunk won't help. No reason to ever get a hitch greater than class II. Snow? stay home! lol

You ever drive in the snow with a FWD based AWD system?? They're just fine.

Thanks for the replies. I need a vehicle that can tow more than 5000 lbs and still fit in my tiny garage. The Liberty can't tow as much as I need and I'll never buy a foreign nameplate. I live in Michigan so there's that. My 3rd gen has held up well, other than the transmission issue. At this point, I'm leaning toward buying a reman transmission for a vehicle that I know instead of buying someone else's problem.

Thanks for the replies. I need a vehicle that can tow more than 5000 lbs and still fit in my tiny garage. The Liberty can't tow as much as I need and I'll never buy a foreign nameplate. I live in Michigan so there's that. My 3rd gen has held up well, other than the transmission issue. At this point, I'm leaning toward buying a reman transmission for a vehicle that I know instead of buying someone else's problem.

If the body is rust free and in great shape I would just keep it. Interesting about the towing capacity, I would think the Liberty would be the same or more than the Explorer because of it having a solid axle vs IRS. Wranger Unlimited should fit but costly...

The Liberty specs by far, a lot closer to the Ford Escape. Using '05 to '05.

My opinion based on reading in the forum, if you have to replace your trans at low miles, you will do so again. Those who can get 150k + on the original trans, will get good life out of the replacement. Same goes for rear axles.

My suggestion would be to either get another 3rd gen or a 4th gen. Because yours is always going to have trans issues.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Didn't realize you needed to tow that much.

I honestly feel the 5r55 isnt made to hold up to the hp/torque of the V8, and it certainly isn't made to hold up to towing.

Back