should i use high mileage or synthetic oil? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

should i use high mileage or synthetic oil?

xz96

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 explorer sports 2wd
I plan to do my next oil change by myself and i don't know which oil to buy...

my oil change place has been using pennzoil high mileage conventional oil on my X for 1 year. It has 240k on it, 4.0 sohc. before that, it got oil change from walmart for 3 years, i don't know what oil they use at walmart.

I plan to keep this vehicle at least 4 years.
it's my daily driver, less than 3 miles trip everyday, stop n go. short highway driving once a week.

should i switch to synthetic oil if everything is fine with my current pennzoil HM oil?
I'm just wondering if there's any benefit switching to synthetic oil?

TL;DR: 240k mile sohc 4.0, used high mileage for 1 year, what's the best oil i should use right now?

another question, on service manual, it says change oil and filter every 5000miles, but everybody tells me to change it every 3000 miles, which one is correct?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

should i switch to synthetic oil if everything is fine with my current pennzoil HM oil?
I'm just wondering if there's any benefit switching to synthetic oil?

No.

Pennzoil® High Mileage Vehicle® is a Pennzoil® conventional motor oil that has been enhanced with a unique combination of special conditioning agents and additives to help stop leaks from seals and reduce the oil consumption that is typical of older, worn engines.
http://www.pennzoil.com/motor-oil/pennzoil-high-mileage-vehicle/

PENNZOIL® HIGH MILEAGE VEHICLE®
Added Seal Conditioner to help worn seals and help prevent leaks
http://www.pennzoil.com/technology-of-clean/motor-oil-comparisons/

You should get a Motorcraft oil filter and some Motorcraft 5/30 synthetic blend. There is a benefit of excellent cleaning and improved fuel economy. For the first go change it at 4000 miles. After that 5000. You will get some good cleaning. PS might want to have a new drain plug gasket on hand.

There's no such thing as miracle liquid...
Any oil that meets the factors specs will be just fine, especially if you're doing 3k intervals.

The biggest advantage to a synthetic oil is the extended service period.

Synthetic oil maintains the specifications during all the service life.
The conventional oils, because of additive used will wear out, will downgrade from initial specs back to base stock.

That's why Ford recommends as a minimum spec Semi-Synthetic. Full Synthetic will extend the protection even better towards the end of oil change interval (that is 7500 miles on Explorers).

if i use conventional oil, should i change it 3k or 5k? my friend and my mechanic told me to change it 3k, but on service manual it says 5k

Service manual says to use semi-synthetic. Nothing less...

Motorcraft SynBlend or Mobil1 FullSyn. I've used both and both are better the conventional.

Use synthetic. You can get 5 qt of Mobil1 at Walmart for $25 and with the extended service interval it ends up being cheaper over time than *quality* (major brand) conventional oil changed more often.

If the engine starts leaking or burning too much then go back to high mileage oil. On a side note I have NEVER changed oil at 6 month intervals on any vehicle if it hadn't hit 3K miles and never had any problems from that. My minimum is at least every 18 months.

Back