Should the Differential be able to move? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Should the Differential be able to move?

kware1

Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer
Hello All-

I raised the rear end of my 2002 Explorer V8 to investigate a noise I was hearing from the rear. I though it might be the rear bearings.

While looking for a spot to jack both wheels at the same time, I placed the jack under the rear differential. As I began to pump the jack I noticed the differential moved. I figured that wasn't a good spot so I stopped.

After eventually raising both wheels, I began to turn them by hand. As I made a revolution I hear a clunking noise and the differential would sort of "jerk" a little. With every revolution I could hear the clunk and see the differential jerk.

Is this normal? Should that differential be able to move like that?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Probably the differential mount is toast. It shouldn't move at all. There are 3 bolts that hold it and I think they have rubber bushings too (trying to remember..). I don't think you can place a floor jack on the aluminum differential.

-----------------------------------------------------------
MY MOUNTY
http://www.facebook.com/diyfordexplorer/photos_albums

The diff is aluminum? It should move but not that much or that easily.

It moved with not even one pump of the floor jack. As soon as I saw movement, I figured that's not the place to lift.

I crawled under and tried to move it by hand, but could move it.

Its not a solid axle.

I will look for the hangers.

How about when I turn the wheels by hand? With each rev, it seems to hit a spot where the differential jerks or bounces a little.

It moved with not even one pump of the floor jack. As soon as I saw movement, I figured that's not the place to lift.

I crawled under and tried to move it by hand, but could move it.

Its not a solid axle.

I will look for the hangers.

How about when I turn the wheels by hand? With each rev, it seems to hit a spot where the differential jerks or bounces a little.

Could be bad bearings, go ahead and replace the mounts. See if that fixes your problems

Ok. I don't know if its the mounts yet. I thought if the bearing was bad I would be able to move the wheel. The feel tight.

Not the wheel bearings, the diff bearings. If it moves that easily ima guess the mounts are blown out or broken. Unless the bolts have vibrated loose

Wow. Ok. If sounds like the mounting bolts would be an easier fix. Thanks for the advice.

Probably the differential mount is toast. It shouldn't move at all. There are 3 bolts that hold it and I think they have rubber bushings too (trying to remember..). I don't think you can place a floor jack on the aluminum differential.

Hi- So a friend at work had me put the car in reverse and park while he watched the differential. Every time I put the car in reverse, the differential moved up (or down) as the gears went from drive to reverse.

You could see it sliding up along what appears to be a mounting bolt. I wanted to ask you where are the three mounting bolts located? It looks like two in the back and underneath. Is this correct?
-----------------------------------------------------------
MY MOUNTY
http://www.facebook.com/diyfordexplorer/photos_albums

So that confirms what I suspected. I probably can't get to it until tomorrow. Would happen to know the bolt size or if its a special type of bolt?

So that confirms what I suspected. I probably can't get to it until tomorrow. Would happen to know the bolt size or if its a special type of bolt?

Not sure on the size, but as long as you get a grade 8 I'm sure either that will be fine as far as strength.

Back