shudder most notible in 3rd or OD uphill? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

shudder most notible in 3rd or OD uphill?

Reaction score
City, State
Corpus Christi, tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 4X4 XLT
One owner '94 4x4 179,000 well maintained. I've probably worn out the search function on here. Most of the trouble shooting was found on the site. Ok all started 1 month ago. Wife had violent engage/disengage of OD with CEL. Got codes and replaced MAF, TPS and fixed small hole in MAF to TB tube. Good to go, ran fine. Wife and I swapped rigs while I made sure it was fixed.

Noticed puff of smoke during start one morning. Thought might be head gasket or valve seal. Pulled spark plugs to do compression check and found #3 and #6 with spark plug larger gap. Knocked off a vacuum line and AFT poured out.

Changed Modulator (in truck from under), what fun. Installed without pin first time. Shift problems. Found pin in drain pan. Replaced pin good shifts. Noticed shudder in OD only up hill.

New spark plugs Autolite plat 0.054, new wires(Bosch first then Jacobs Elec). Cleaned IAC(still fairly smooth valve)(pulled wire idle comes back), replaces hoses to EGR control(good sized cracks but not enough to bring on CEL). Still shudder.

New coil pack. Still shudder.

Three bottles of gas dry. still shudder. Two bottles of injector cleaner, still shudder.

Water level drops slowly over time(started 50,000 ago, not external(or I'm just not finding it), put in some stop leak and level is very constant now.

Shudder is now noticable in OD or drive with TCC locked. Most noticable with the higher wind loading or up hill. Feels like pinging but is random with NO noise. Torque converter stays locked and no noticable RPM flux. Not even noticable under 47 MPH in D, which I believe is when the TC locks

New fuel filter and Air filter. Tighened OD band.

Did home flush of trans fluid 14,000 ago, NO filter change.

New fuel pump 30,000 ago.

I've PM'd several people who had similar, but I think they don't log on now that their truck is fixed. I still need to check compression, OHM the trans soleniods, PCV valve, and change trans filter. Several people have had this but never post their fix. Hope its not the TC or trans rebuild time. Thanks in advance any help appreciated

Did you post this on the tranny forum? If not, do a search for Glacier and send him a message. If it's tranny related, my money says he'll know how to fix it.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Back