Shudder/Shimmy/Vibration when accelerating | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shudder/Shimmy/Vibration when accelerating

SHUMAX

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Explorer Sport
MY06 Eddie Bauer Explorer V8 4X4 with 65,000 miles.

Had 60,000 mile service done at 58,000 which included transfer case and transmission flush. Also installed new tires at 58,000.

Recently I have noticed a shudder/shimmy/vibration when the car is on the freeway in top gear and I accelerate without making it downshift. Though, even if I take it out of overdrive and accelerate, it will still do it.

I had the tires balanced and it didn't change. If I let go of the gas at anything above 55 mph and coast, it is as smooth as can be. However, as soon as I step on the gas, I get this shudder/shimmy/vibration that I can feel in my butt and somewhat in the steering wheel.

It's just started in the last 1,000 miles and I don't think it has anything to do with the tires, transfer or transmission fluid flush as it was fine for thousands of miles after these services were performed.

Something else odd -- when it's really cold (less than 5 degrees F) and I come to a stop, I feel something pop/clunk in the front end. It is NOT the ABS coming on. I know what that feels like and it's completely different. I can hear it and FEEL it in the brake pedal. It's not the feeling of shifting pads in the calipers, either. It's very pronounced and only happens when it's cold and I am stopping rather quickly.

The shudder/vibration/shimmy isn't bad, so I am hesitant about taking it to the dealer as I am sure they won't find it without my replicating it. Even then, they'll tell me I am crazy even though it's been fine and not doing this for 64,000 miles. I do want to resolve it though, because something isn't right and, at the very least, it's annoying unless I am going downhill and not accelerating.

Has anyone else noticed these two conditions on their Explorer?

Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Remove both driveshafts and inspect the u-joints. And while the driveshafts are out, check the pinion flange/yoke at each axle and make sure there is no up/down or side/side "play".

I check the tranny fluid asap, could be low. I also check under the hood for any loose or disconnected vacuum lines that may have accidently came loose with the mechanic working on the rig.

Could be what IZwack says worn drive components, could also be you are getting a engine misfire like a COP or injector. Bad lockup torque converter can also do this or installing the wrong trans fluid.

Same

59000miles, 06 XLT
K&N filter, flowmaster 40
Chrome bull bar
---more on its way

just had a vibration start when im above 40mph and on the gas. Stops if I let off. Nothing with a clunk when stopping.

Dealer looked it over and couldnt find anything wrong. I have a vacuum line that seems to have busted (hissing when acclerating), so maybe that could be the problem.

Not sure.

FORD: 2005 Excursion, Explorer Sport Trac
2005-2008 Escape, Expedition, Explorer, F-150, F-Super Duty, Ranger
2006-2008 F-53 Motorhome Chassis
2007-2008 Explorer Sport Trac
LINCOLN: 2005-2008 Navigator
2006-2008 Mark LT
MERCURY: 2005-2008 Mariner, Mountaineer

This article supersedes TSBs 07-11-3, 07-10-8, and 07-4-5 to update the Part List and Service procedure.

ISSUE:
Various Ford, Mercury and Lincoln vehicles may exhibit a vibration / steering wheel nibble above 50 MPH (80 Km/h) which may be associated to a wheel and tire vibration.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

The following revisions have been made. The road test has been simplified to include 15 minutes of driving rather than a 20 mile test drive. The requirement to bring an assistant along on the road test has been eliminated. Recordings should be made using the vibration analyzer and then review recordings following the test drive. The step to inspect the Integrated Wheel Ends (IWE) has also been eliminated.

Long term temporary flat spotting can develop when a vehicle is stored without driving. Some initial tire and wheel vibration issues (such as flat spotting) will correct themselves after the tires have been in service for 200 miles (320 km). Confirm vehicle tires have been in service a minimum of 200 miles (320 km) to remove long term temporary flat spotting. Do not continue with this procedure if tires do not meet this requirement.
Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 100-04 to determine if a wheel and tire speed (9-14.5 HZ) vibration is present.
If the vibration is wheel and tire speed proceed Step 3.
If not, follow the diagnostics provided in the WSM, Section 100-04.
NOTE: THE VEHICLE SHOULD BE DRIVEN 15 MINUTES TO REMOVE TEMPORARY FLAT SPOTTING. SHORTER TEST DRIVES WILL RESULT IN INACCURATE RUN OUT OR ROAD FORCE® READINGS. IF THE VIBRATION GOES AWAY DURING THE TEST DRIVE, THE CONCERN IS DUE TO TEMPORARY TIRE FLAT SPOTTING WHICH IS A NORMAL TIRE CONDITION. NO FURTHER DIAGNOSIS OR REPAIRS SHOULD BE PERFORMED.

If tire and wheel vibration persists after the 15 minute road test, then complete wheel and tire radial run-out / Road Force® component test in the WSM, Section 204-04 to match mount and/or balance tire and wheel assemblies.
NOTE: THE MATCH MOUNTING PROCEDURE IS MORE EFFECTIVE WHEN USING HUNTER ROAD FORCE® MEASUREMENT EQUIPMENT. THERE IS A WEBSITE AVAILABLE (WWW.GSP9700.COM) TO LOCATE THE NEAREST FACILITY THAT HAS THIS TYPE OF EQUIPMENT. ONLY USE A STANDARD BALANCER AND MANUALLY CHECK RUN OUT WHEN ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY.

NOTE: WHEEL-TO-HUB OPTIMIZATIONWHEEL-TO-HUB OPTIMIZATION IS IMPORTANT. CLEARANCE BETWEEN THE WHEEL AND HUB CAN BE USED TO OFFSET OR NEUTRALIZE THE ROAD FORCE® OR RUN-OUT OF THE WHEEL AND TIRE ASSEMBLY. FOR EVERY 0.001" (0.0254 MM) OF WHEEL-TO-HUB CLEARANCE, THE ROAD FORCE® CAN BE AFFECTED BETWEEN 1-3 LBS (0.45- 1.36 Kg). DEPENDING ON THE TIRE STIFFNESS.

When installing tire and wheel assemblies follow WSM, Section 204-04, Wheel-to-Hub Optimization procedure. There are unique procedures for single rear wheel vehicles, dual rear wheels vehicles, and vehicles with conical shaped lug nuts.
NOTE: THE SPARE TIRE SHOULD NOT BE USED AS A REPLACEMENT TIRE.

F-150 and MARK LT ONLY - If the vibration still persists continue to Step 5.

Perform the following based on remaining symptom:
If vibration still exists at 50-60 MPH (80-97 Km/h) (9-11 Hz), condition may be due to vehicle sensitivity or road inputs. Obtain Frame Damper Kit and refer to the instruction sheet included in the kit for installation.
NOTE: THE DAMPER KIT WILL NOT HELP A STEERING WHEEL NIBBLE CONDITION OR A DRIVELINE VIBRATION (25-45 HZ).

NOTE: CERTAIN VEHICLES ARE ALREADY EQUIPPED WITH THE FRAME DAMPER

PART NUMBER PART NAME
4L3Z-5D008-AA Frame Damper Kit (2004-2005 F-150 And 2006 Mark LT Built On Or Before 8/26/2005)
6L3Z-5D008-B Frame Damper Kit (2006-2008 F-150 And 2006-2008 Mark LT Built After 8/26/2005)

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
5D005 (OPERATION R) 42
ALBAL (OPERATION B - C) D9
NPF (OPERATION A) 82
twc01 (OPERATION D - Q) 42

Figure 1 - Article 08-24-2

Figure 2 - Article 08-24-2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2008 Ford Motor Company

Just this morning the check engine light has come on, but no issue with driveability.... How do I pull the codes?

Back