Side Mirror Button? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Side Mirror Button?

Reaction score
City, State
houston
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Platinum
I have a 2016 Explorer with the Platinum pkg. On the drive's door, there are 4 side mirror control buttons: the top 2 select dr or passenger side mirrors. The bottom operates the power folding, but I can not figure out what the bottom right button does. When I press it, a small light comes on, on the button. On page 88 in the manual, there is somewhat of a picture of it, but not really. The button is half black and half white with an X. I can not find a picture of the button in the manual and since I don't know what it does, I don't know how to search in the index or the internet. I called my dealer, the person said "I'm a visual person, so I need to see it. Drive down." The dealership is out of my way, so I thought someone else might have figured it out.

Thanks, Mrs Crispie Bacon

ford pic.PNG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i think this is the child lock window button. it disables the rear window controls when trying to use them from the back seat, so that 'lil timmy can't roll the window down and throw his shoe out. the X is a picture of a window being disabled no? child locks for the doors are in the rear doors' jamb area when you open them, but that window lock is right there for the driver i'm pretty sure.

i think this is the child lock window button. it disables the rear window controls when trying to use them from the back seat, so that 'lil timmy can't roll the window down and throw his shoe out. the X is a picture of a window being disabled no? child locks for the doors are in the rear doors' jamb area when you open them, but that window lock is right there for the driver i'm pretty sure.

Correct.

From page 86 of the Owner's Manual. The picture shows a slightly different control but the same window with the X on it.

Window Lock

Press the control to lock or unlock the rear
window controls. It will illuminate when
you lock the rear window controls.

Peter

Yall are so right! Thank you. My children are grown and that is something I don't need any more. I keep finding things on my car as I need them and I haven't need this. Thanks again.

Yall are so right! Thank you. My children are grown and that is something I don't need any more. I keep finding things on my car as I need them and I haven't need this. Thanks again.

Also useful for Explorer owners with VERY BAD dogs. :nono:

As Peter stated, it only controls the REAR windows...front passenger can still open/close their window.

Back