Side-View Mirror Differences

huskyfan23

Rah no Hans Bwix
Reaction score
City, State
WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT 4x4
What are the side-view mirror differences in the various gens besides options? I've been looking at mirrors from each gen and they all look to have the same shape. Is the only difference the square part that mounts the mirror to the door? From the pics I've seen, the second gens look identical to the first gens. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After lots of searching I've found conflicting answers. Some say 91-01 are the same, others say they aren't. Anybody know for sure? I'm wondering if the whole assembly is the same (triangular mount and mirror)?

Aside from the obvious looks and mounts, they do use different type controls, so make sure the wiring is compatible before you think about swaps....

Also, some are heated.....the newer ones have puddle lamps?

Different controls meaning what? I know the harnesses are different on some but that's an easy fix. Some are heated and some have puddle lights, yes. I ultimately want those signal mirrors, but they're for 95+, and my driver-side mirror is broken, so I was thinking about switching to another gen.

where can you get the signal mirror for a 95 or the puddel one at thanks

eBay.. I just ordered a heated w/ puddle light. We'll soon know if the rumors are true.

I was wondering this too. The first & 2nd gens look the same to me. The only difference I can see is the wiring. Which can be spliced in to work with a 1st gen.

Forgot to say, I ordered a '98. I read a post by Alec saying '91-'01 fit, and he's never wrong :D My mirror was shipped today. Should have it by Friday.

huskyfan23 said:
Different controls meaning what? .

Well...the 95 + control is a little thing you move around for the different directions, so it might have a different motor sytem in the mirror (ground returns, blah blah)

IT FITS! I've got a few pics. This is an aftermarket mirror so it isn't the best fit, but it's real close. I've gotta wire it now, shouldn't be bad. I'm about to order one for the passenger side next.

Attachments

• mirror.jpg
    mirror.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 302
  • mirror1.jpg
    mirror1.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 1,596
  • mirror2.jpg
    mirror2.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 305

Just got the glass off. I'm about to add the LED arrow right now.

Making a perfect arrow out of plastic, with the perfect depth was too time-consuming. I just ordered a set of those universal arrows off eBay. I'll put those in BEHIND the mirrors so the mirrors will be just like KWMuth mirrors without the $260+ price tag.

I got the motor wired up, works just like the 91-94 motor. I'll hook up the puddle lamp and heater after I put in my signals. My other mirror is also on its way.

Sounds cool, can't wait to see it done.

Is the plug the same? Or did you have to cut it & splice?

It's not the same. I cut the plug off my stock mirror and wired that to the motor wires of the new mirror.

Hey huskyfan...I had to replace my driver's side mirror (my kid pulled the old one off backing up w/o looking). Anyway, I bought a new one, OEM, from the dealer. Ever since, it has had an annoying vibration...sort of a harmonic, pulsing vibration...as I drive down the road, at all speeds above, say 30 mph. I went back in and retightened the mounting bolts a couple of different times...no help. I really didn't notice the problem right away, otherwise I'd have taken it back and exchanged it...my bad.

When I reach outside and hold the whole mirror assembly, the mirror still vibrates. When I put a finger on the mirror itself, it stops vibrating. Obviously something going on with the mirror. Any ideas??

Not sure, sounds like your glass needs to be glued down tighter or something. My mirror is non-OEM so I don't think it's put together the same. The housing holding the mirror has some adhesive attaching it to the motor. I heated it up with a hairdryer and pulled it off. I then did the same for the glass. If yours is set up similarly all you'd have to do is reglue the glass.

Here's a picture of an OEM Taurus housing. It's got clips all around that hold it on, I believe yours is the same way.

signal4.jpg

My passenger mirror comes tomorrow, LED signals came today. They actually use the little cellphone LED's, was expecting at least some 3mm. I'll do a write-up with pics as I do this, and if everything works out I'll post it :D I've got a pic of the signals I bought, and one of the back of a Muth signal mirror (they just encase the LED's in a plastic cover on the left). Mine are a straight arrow shape wheras the Muth are a rounded arrow, but installation is the same idea.

arrow_blink.gif

Attachments

• muth.jpg
    muth.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 279

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well.. new mirror came today. Pulled the glass off AND.......... the LED's weren't bright enough IMO. I think I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and buy some Muth mirrors, maybe we can get another group buy going (hint hint ;))? I tried some 5,000mcd white LED's, still dim. I tried a flashlight with a 15 lumen output, dim. Obviously this has something to do with the tinting of the glass. I'm not sure what's different about Taurus mirrors that LED's shine well. I did connect the puddle lamps and heating elements for the mirrors though. I suggest anyone with a first gen to buy some second gen mirrors, there's no paint to peel or fade.

Back