• Register Today It's free!

Silicone Wiper Blade Problems

Rob Slade

Reaction score
City, State
Wake Forest, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Tacoma DoubleCab
I got some of the silicone wiper blades for use on my truck. They are fine when there is no water on the windshield, but when it rains, the silicone becomes like silicone is, somewhat sticky and it chatters across my windshield. Not only does it make lots of noise, it misses spots where it "hops" across the windshield.

Anyone with the PIAA or SilBlade wipers having this problem? I really thought silicone was supposed to be the great wiper answer.

I guess I was really disapointed. Any suggestions or reasons why this would have happened?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Happens to me a bit. The solution is to slow the wipers down.

I bought some expensive silicon blades, and was ripped off... they suck... I only buy ansco rubber blades from now on... I have had problems with my wiper arms though... they don't keep adequate pressure against the window... I tensioned the springs and that helped a little but they sure as heck ain't working right....

I have had PIAA wipers ever since the group buy a couple of years ago. The first set just wore out & I got another PIAA set. No problems.
Try really cleaning your w/s. (Barkeepers friend is good) You may even need to use a clay bar on it.

one of my problemds was it had a coating (liek rain-x) on the windshield. so I added 1/4 cup of ammonia to a full washer resivior and it cleaned it right up, but I still don't get good down preasure... prolly just replace the arms...

the rain-x wipers work awesome. i bought a set for my X' for about 8 or 9 bucks a wiper. They are way worth the money though. In fact i even replaced my moms' X with the same wipers. Not sure what material they're made of though :cool:

i got free bosch microexcels from work..... i have bad credit, but we have a work credit card, so i filled it out, got denied, but got a free pair of wiper blades, we retail each blade for like $16

I have the Teflon blades on my '03 ST and love them. Wouldn't replace them with anything else.

Back