• Register Today It's free!

single button key fob mysteries

alan13henderson

Reaction score
City, State
colchester uk
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 northface
My next problem is only 1 single button key fob for Dora.
Ive been told that to get another fob added is a dealer only job.
Anyone had this done and if so how much?
Ive got a spare fob already but not programmed for my car
Ive also been told that if you get the imobiliser unit(rear of car) from another explorer then the fobs associated move to the new car.
So can anyone confirm that if I can find an imobilser from the single button cars then its just a plug in job and the fobs associated with that unit will work on my car?
If this is true, does anyone have an early immobilser and 2 single button fobs that work with it for sale?

Hi,

The fobs are associated with the immobiliser and you can swap them from vehicle to vehicle with no problems in that respect. The problem often missed with the single button immobiliser is that the fuel pump is also coded to the immobiliser so you will need to get to the fuel pump and cut and join two wires or else get the fuel pump from the same vehicle as the immobiliser if you want to keep the full function intact.

Probably better and cheaper to go for an aftermarket unit as many have done.

SS

Hi
thanks for that,
what aftermarket units have been fitted?
how easy is it to do?

All im really after is that when the missus rings me up and says shes lost the key/fob to the explorer that I at least have a quick solution.
That would be a spare set and ability to get yet another spare as required - reasonably cheaply.

I had also heard about fuel pump being link but was told that if you put the other immobiliser unit into car that it would 'learn' about the different fuelpump? Nothing needed doing. Is that wrong?

I had also heard about fuel pump being link but was told that if you put the other immobiliser unit into car that it would 'learn' about the different fuelpump? Nothing needed doing. Is that wrong?

That sounds wrong to me. I am speaking from experience of changing immobilisers and reading manuals. I am willing to be corrected though.

As for fitting another immobiliser it is very easy to fit one in place of the original but also easy to get at to bypass. I would recommend a more 'hidden' install that you can't access through a convenient cover!

SS

Back