• Register Today It's free!

Single Sub Setup

jshak07

Reaction score
City, State
ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
Just picked up a 2000 Explorer and traded in my 95 Ranger on it. I compete in MECA and knew every little trick to my Ranger but need to start learnin this truck. How many people run single sub setups in your 4dr explorer? What kind of results do you get? Pics if ya got em

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you run MECA in KY, try to get in touch with Bud. I know he was running a single 18" for a bit. He did later change it to 2 15"s and ended up doing a 53.1 (I think), in S2. I have a pic of his setup if you are interested.

Bud isnt competing anymore. He sold his van and I believe his shockers as well as his 1500s. The team I am currently on (Team Innovative) has 3 people that used to be on Bud's team (Bangin on a Budget).
I am just going to compete in S1 this year and in that class it is hard to hold fusing and use more than one sub. YOu almost have to run single sub setups so I just wanted to get some opinions. I have a few designs I want to try tho.

And his (2) 15"s were in tubes when he did the 53 I believe

Should have kept the ranger and stole bens ideas. HaHa. Either way, good luck I guess. I went to world finals last year, it was pretty cool to see all the loud guys. I got a bunch of new gear for this season, and I didnt have a show that was closer than 7 and a half hours one way. Kinda messed up my season. What happened to Bud? Oh yeah, they were in tubes.

I am on Ben's team. He helped me work on my truck quite a bit. Ben, Ryan and myself are all buddies. THe tranny was getting ready to fall out of the ranger, hence the name "Danger Ranger" lol. Plus I wanted to compete iin drive by and have a street beater and both of those are damn near impossible in a truck.

Yeah, two windows is a bit hard I guess. Anyway, being on that team, I think you should do Ok this year. You guys will figure something out.

Do you compete in MECA? We plan on doin pretty good this year so we will see. We got 2 truck guys and 2 SUV guys

I did last year, I went to every show in two states. For nothing. I didn't have a build that was anywhere near ready to compete at world. I wanted to go though. Then the whole "change the finals due date" b.s bumped me out of the top 3. It would have been a 3rd place, but top 3 in my first year would have been cool. Either way, I bought a cactus 5k this past summer and like 5 extra batts, didn't get to use them though.

I run all Sundown amps but I have heard the Cactus amps are stout. Are you gettin back into it this year?

If we can get some shows, and I can figure out my build, I would love to. I looked at the s4 score for world, it was pretty weak.

Meca is dyin, they were even talkin about that at the awards at worlds. All the competitors need to start promotin more and findin more shows

On the website, they keep talking up how GREAT of a year they just had. They always put out the positive stuff online. The REAL situation is always talked about at world. Gotta love that. Point is, our e.d screwed everyone in WI and MN. He did all the shows, and he kept all the money from the shows, and even the memberships. It's pretty crappy for the guys in the area. Not much I can do about that. All of audio is going down fast. A buddy of mine did 1 usaci show this year, they sent him an invit to world. That wasnt enough points to qualify. Thats what is going on everywhere.

Yea a couple people that we were hangin out with down there said they received invites to finals and only went to 1 show.

That is B.S! Last year I had 98 SPL points, and 96 points in DBSPL. All I have to say is wow...

No they didnt get invited to MECA they got invites to USACI finals and only went to 1 USACI show. MECA only invites you if you have your 35 points

I was mad for a second. HaHa. Btw, Hi josh.

who r u? Matt?

lol cool cool

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

for a single sub setup youll probably be loudest with a single 12 if you really test. Because if you use a single 15 or 18 ur gunna be above the window line.

12s will allow you to try side or front firing the woofer.

as for your enclosure...try as many different volumes and firing directions as possible aswell as sub to port combinations..sub forward port back, sub side port side, sub side port back etc.

But no matter what ur gunna want to make a custom aeroport probably 8" wide if you use a 12 or maybe bigger if you use a bigger woofer. These ports are much much more efficient and will get your score up there big time.

Ive never done meca but I do believe my explorer was the loudest in history without a wall at 157.8 legal on the TL at the dash. I used 6 10s firing up with port to the drivers side and 4 american bass 500.1s with 2 nsb90s. Im confident I could have had this setup over 158.5 with another year work into it

Back