Single Sub Setup | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Single Sub Setup

MECA is seat back for height, gives a bit more room. I ran 4 15"s under seat line. How many amps of current did your amps take again? Reason being, fuses need to hold. With a single 12" sub, you have to burp it off of 40 amps of fuse. Not saying there are not ways around that...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In the Ranger I ran (2) sundown 3ks strapped at 4 ohm, so 2 ohm each amp and I could burp off 80 amps of fusing. THe fuses would pop but I could get a decent score off first. Now that was AS2 tho. I am going to run Street 2 this year. I'm thinkin about 4-12s :)

for a single sub setup youll probably be loudest with a single 12 if you really test. Because if you use a single 15 or 18 ur gunna be above the window line.

12s will allow you to try side or front firing the woofer.

as for your enclosure...try as many different volumes and firing directions as possible aswell as sub to port combinations..sub forward port back, sub side port side, sub side port back etc.

But no matter what ur gunna want to make a custom aeroport probably 8" wide if you use a 12 or maybe bigger if you use a bigger woofer. These ports are much much more efficient and will get your score up there big time.

Ive never done meca but I do believe my explorer was the loudest in history without a wall at 157.8 legal on the TL at the dash. I used 6 10s firing up with port to the drivers side and 4 american bass 500.1s with 2 nsb90s. Im confident I could have had this setup over 158.5 with another year work into it

got some pics?

I used 6 10s firing up with port to the drivers side and 4 american bass 500.1s with 2 nsb90s. Im confident I could have had this setup over 158.5 with another year work into it

that's exactly how ima have my 18's set up. 2 8" aero's, subs up, ports to the driver side. but only 7k compared to 20k lol

that's exactly how ima have my 18's set up. 2 8" aero's, subs up, ports to the driver side. but only 7k compared to 20k lol

not enough port area imo
More port more score! :)

Was into the 140s with this box and a single 15 off 500 watts...note the MA is not the sub the enclosure was intended for. Original enclosure was designed for a JL Audio 15W4

100_1395.jpg

100_1398.jpg

not enough port area imo

2 8" aeros in an explorer is enough port for a 160 at the dash on the TL.

the problem is explorers with street style setups peak in the 48-52 hz range so you cant use a lot of port area or itll be way way too long to work properly.

id be surprised if you even got 2 8s to work well actually.

not enough port area imo
the box i have now is 8 cubes net, with 130 sq inches of port tuned to around 35 hz. it's not bad and all, but i've wanted to try aeros and i'm not as familiar with them so i had some help with a design. this one is going to be ~9.5 cubes net tuned to about 35.5 hz. the guy that helped me uses the same strategy for his focus and has hit 152.xx with one 15 on 2 sundown 2000D's. i think he has the world record in his class still too from that. so i'm confident :) if not my current box will go back in. but i'll definitely hit the lows better :) not to mention with the way it's set up i can fit more batteries in the back lol

the box i have now is 8 cubes net, with 130 sq inches of port tuned to around 35 hz. it's not bad and all, but i've wanted to try aeros and i'm not as familiar with them so i had some help with a design. this one is going to be ~9.5 cubes net tuned to about 35.5 hz. the guy that helped me uses the same strategy for his focus and has hit 152.xx with one 15 on 2 sundown 2000D's. i think he has the world record in his class still too from that. so i'm confident :) if not my current box will go back in. but i'll definitely hit the lows better :) not to mention with the way it's set up i can fit more batteries in the back lol

yup Zach knows what he's doing. He and I are in talks currently about building him a custom 9 1/2" aero that flares to over 14" for his 2 15s daily.

Should work out nicely.

Back