• Register Today It's free!

Slick50 or DuraLube

racerat94

Reaction score
City, State
Lindenhurst, New Yrok
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Explorer
I've always wanted to use this stuff but have always had concerns on whether they are good, bad, or evil.

Anybody have any enlightenment ?
thanx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do a search for "oil additive" - there are lots of posts about different additives with many opinions.

Dead Link Removed to read a study that was done. It is a long article, but very enlightening. I think the article puts the dozens of available products into (I believe) four categories.

Definitely a waste of $$. Spend it on a K&N filter or aux tranny filter instead.

and about Duralube...

DuraLube challenged by Car&Driver, loses to FTC.

The manufacturers of the DuraLube engine additive were dealt a smack in the face by a Car & Driver Magazine report into their product. C&D tried the same tests as Consumer Reports did on ProLong, and had similar results, but in a much quicker time. The C&D engines treated with DuraLube lasted a staggering 11 seconds without oil. You do the math. The Federal Trade Commission dealt with it.....

from.... http://www.fernblatt.com/longhurst/additives.html

if anything use marvel mystery oil or prolong. they are the best because they have no solids in the makeup. the others have microscopic teflon beads. you do not want solids in your crank.

never mind STP, DuraJunk, SlickJunk use Lucas

Nevermind those bargain basement additives. Some stuff they contain are actually very harmfull to your engine. I suggest if you are going to use any kind of additive use LUCAS there product are the best. I myself work at a local auto parts up here in NY and so many people buy the Junk Stuff and come in the next week and state the additive they put in was a waste of $$. Until our store started carring the LUCAS brand of additives. We get remarks every day about there products, How great hey are and the difference you can hear and feel. I tried the products myself and WOW what a change. Try some next time you want to ad an additive you won't regret it. Check them out online at www.lucasoil.com www.lucasoil.com

All the high end, honest shops in my area use BG 44K, http://www.bgprod.com/ I have also used it and have seen great improvements instantly. I also agree with UTexplorer51 with his recommendation of marvel's mystery oil. I know some old-timers who swear by that stuff.

Did any of you read the pages that Aldive posted? All that stuff is junk !!! All of those additives are in the oil already. There was one of those companies that were using Mineral Oil with food coloring and selling that.

marvel is an old timey solution that is engine rebuild in a bottle. everytime i rebuild an engine, its the first thing i pour in the crank. but if it aint broke, dont fix it. nothing beats changeing the 10w30 every 3000 miles. but the marvel is the best at quieting down valve chatter.

brian

99explorer5.0, I forgot aldive was GOD! No offense to him or you, but I have personnally seen what the products I mentioned have done. I would not stand by anything unless I had seen its benefits personnally.

morrisey0 sorry i forgot that you cant take critsism and believe in fairy tales. But trust me on this one ... Aldive is by no means god.

Did you have two identical engines one running those fluids and one without following eachother around everyday and pull apart your engine after every trip to see the differences?

Originally posted by 99explorer5.0
Did you have two identical engines one running those fluids and one without following eachother around everyday and pull apart your engine after every trip to see the differences?

Even that would not produce stastically valad results.....

99explorer5.0, did you? I just post what I have seen with my own eyes. I didn't post anything that I heard from someone else. Please, post your own experiences and good advice you have. I tried to do that.

criticism?......fairy tales?......hey kettle, you're black

I'll just leave this one alone, I've posted my advice. This bickering just looks bad for the whole forum. Sorry newcomers, this isn't what this forum is about.

Back