slide out tool box | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

slide out tool box

safn1949

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
M60A1 my first offroader
I am looking for a floor mounted tool box.The one I saw had 1 large slide out drawer the width of the back of the ex.

A) I searched here and only found homemade boxes

B) I don't want wood-like that's going to hold together in a rollover with 400 lbs of crap in it.

C) I can afford to buy one.:D

So,any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am looking for a floor mounted tool box.The one I saw had 1 large slide out drawer the width of the back of the ex.

A) I searched here and only found homemade boxes

B) I don't want wood-like that's going to hold together in a rollover with 400 lbs of crap in it.

C) I can afford to buy one.:D

So,any ideas?

Search out RV parts sources. They have lots of configurations like that for under motorcoaches. I used to have a link in my favorites but I must have deleted it when I built my cheap wood one.

Go to Galls.com to get an idea of what law enforcement and firefighters use. I've seen the setups in person and they're awesome. Way durable.

This is the one I plan to get...someday:rolleyes:

1405980.jpg

http://www.cpodeltatruckboxes.com/truck_storage/drawer_storage_units/aluminum_drawer_units/1405980.html

I went to their site,I need one with a single big drawer,max size 39x39 inches and so far,no luck.:D

Thanks for that,but I am looking for a box with a drawer large enough to hold my aluminum floor jack and tools.I have 39 inches each way and need it at least 9 inches deep.Prefer 12 inches.It will be bolted to the floor in the rear and the spare will ride strapped on top of it.

39 inches deep is my limit with the rear seats and cargo net.I have seen them but for the life of me I can't find a single drawer anywhere near that size,even a 2 drawer side by side would work.It's a pita to strap all of that crap down and then unstrap it when I need a tool.

So we keep looking,thanks for all the help so far fellas,keep the ideas coming.:D

Buy a welder, some steel (tubing and sheet), and start measuring.

You could have a custom one built:rolleyes: My dad had one built for his SD. It a 2 drawer full short bed length, but it's crazy heavy! We have to use a engine hoist to get it in and out:(

You know another Idea is this. I had one of these in my truck for a long time, and may go back to it some day:rolleyes:

RUBBERMAID-B000CFV0DO-1-lg.jpg

You know another Idea is this. I had one of these in my truck for a long time, and may go back to it some day:rolleyes:

RUBBERMAID-B000CFV0DO-1-lg.jpg

That's nice, I could use something similar to that in the back of my ex.

I often store emergency supplies under neath the floor boards in the trunk of my 3rd gen. But that is difficult to get to in an emergency. I like the rubbermade idea a lot.

Like this:D

Box.jpg

No joke, those drawers cost more than our trucks are worth!

There we go,boy they ain't giving them things away.But that's what I'm looking for,thanks.:D

That's why I built my own, out of wood. $80 worth of wood, glue etc.

And yes, I think it will hold all the stuff I carry should I flop or worse, roll. I was given the name 'Rolling Snap On Tool Box' at Moab this year by James T:rolleyes:

Attachments

• DSCN4586-1.jpg
    DSCN4586-1.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 3,185

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back