Sliding out of the driver's seat | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sliding out of the driver's seat

lol, same with me mom. she likes to use it for work when she has to go out in the boonies along the railroad tracks

Re: Seat Lever/Seat

Hey BigZac...

Hadt he same issue with my 94 when I first bought it.....in the first couple days.....

Took off from a red light a little quicker than usual sicne I was all giddy with the new truck....

BAM! Ended up lying back fully reclined.....NOT GOOD!

I took it back to the dealer and they replaced it...was fine till last week, while on vacation in the OBX....

I leaned a little hard on the seat back when reaching for something in the back and BLAMMO! Happened again...

****...........!! It will either lock all the way forward (like to get in the back seat (even tho this is a 4 door) or in the current position, somewhat reclined.....not optimal....

Hope to check it out soon.....must be easily doen, tho, since the dealer didnt bat an eye at it originally....

Originally posted by BigZac
I'm probbly the newest person here, so bear with me. I did a search and ran across this string and another similar. This string seems to be the best place to post this.

I have a 99 Sport and pulled the lever up to lift the seat so i could hang dry cleaning in the back. When I returned the seat to its former position and sat down... *WHAM* I was laying down in the back seat before I knew it. Something popped in the recline lever area and now my seat will catch in either the "not enough room between the steering wheel and my balls" position or the "laying down in the back seat" position. I haven't had time yet to yank the plastic housing off the side (that holds the power seat controls) to see what's going on down there, and have since propped a box behind me to hold me up. My back is as sore as hell from riding like this...

I found a sharp little crescent-shaped piece of metal in the rear floorboard. It looks like the end of a bolt that was sheared off by my fat butt when I went flying backwards. I have a sinking feeling (no pun intended) that I will need to replace the whole lever assembly, but like I said, I haven't looked down there yet. Does anyone have any resources that they can point me to that will show what it is *supposed* to look like? I have a Chilton's book... but pfft... no help there.

I'm pretty new to the whole do-it-yourself thing, but this is my first truck and I want to fix this myself. Please help.

Thanks!

Fixed it...

I went to the dealer to buy a new dirver's side seat back latch... because I assumed that was what the problem was (what with all of the complaints posted on this board about weak parts). But when I yanked the seat cover off, I found that it was just a bolt that had broken in half (!!!). The particular bolt was at the top (the "peak," if you will) of the seat back latch. The good news: the dealer bought back the $65 seat back latch. The bad news: Ford no longer sells this torx-bolt.

I just drove to my nearest salvage yard and pulled one from a 2000 EB and plunked down a whole $1 for it at the desk. The hardest thing was removing the end (not the "torx" end) of the bolt from the inside of the seat. That took me all of about 10 minutes, after which I had the new bolt in, the seat cover back down, and was crusing around in a happily erect (heh) position.

I am about as new as they come to do it yourself jobs... and I was actually considering taking this to a dealer. I am positive they would have charged me for the new seat back latch and probably another $75 for labor. But thanks to whoever it was that posted step-by-step (I apologize for not recalling you by name) pictures and instructions on how to replace the seat back latch, I sat down one Friday after work and did the work myself... and got a few new tools out of the deal. Total cost: $30 ($1 for the bolt, $10 for a good vice-grip wrench, $5 for a set of torx bits, and $14 for a 3/8" driver and a metric socket set). As I said, I am not one to do it myself, but I will now!

Thanks for the posts and the hints, guys!!!

Back