What is the aluminum box under the driver's seat? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What is the aluminum box under the driver's seat?

koda2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
x
I have have a pair of leather '97 Explorer Limited seats in my '54 F100. I bought them at a swap meet back in '97 or '98 for $200. When installing them in my F100 the passenger seat was a straight forward 2-wire power & ground connection, but the driver's seat had a metal box attached to the bottom of the seat (computer sized) which I had to eliminate in order to get it to work. Does anyone know what this box was for? I was thinking maybe for memory seat, but it seemed awfully large for that purpose. I ran across the box when cleaning out my garage recently and it got me wondering again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Locator device for the Illuminati to keep an eye on you for the man?

That is the memory seat module. The system consists of the special seat motors, the module, switch on the door panel, and the neutral safety switch circuit(one wire at the GEM). I've got one spare module and seat track, intending on putting it in my right seat some day.

One of my left seats didn't work when I hooked it up, so I've been using my 93 limited seat/track/module. If you don't need that module, can I get it from you as another spare? I don't know how one would diagnose those, replacing one might be easier. The motors will swap from any side of seat track, from similar track versions(aluminum or steel etc). I swapped the memory seat motors to a right seat track I had, to see how difficult that would be. It's not easy as you look at it, but once you do it once, it's not so bad if you remember how it's done. LOL,

That is the memory seat module. The system consists of the special seat motors, the module, switch on the door panel, and the neutral safety switch circuit(one wire at the GEM). I've got one spare module and seat track, intending on putting it in my right seat some day.

One of my left seats didn't work when I hooked it up, so I've been using my 93 limited seat/track/module. If you don't need that module, can I get it from you as another spare? I don't know how one would diagnose those, replacing one might be easier. The motors will swap from any side of seat track, from similar track versions(aluminum or steel etc). I swapped the memory seat motors to a right seat track I had, to see how difficult that would be. It's not easy as you look at it, but once you do it once, it's not so bad if you remember how it's done. LOL,

Well, you would have been welcome to it, but I chucked it cleaning out the garage. Don't know why I held on to it for 20 years. Just kinda forgot about it.

No worries, I've seen many at the JY and passed them. I don't get to the JY's often but I usually see stuff worth getting, if there's time. I do need to get there and pull a couple of V8 harnesses for the engine and trans, for two more projects. It takes a long while to dig all the wiring out without hurting anything, and it has to be one that no one else has gotten into. People often yank wires, as they go after the heads and intake etc.

Well, you would have been welcome to it, but I chucked it cleaning out the garage. Don't know why I held on to it for 20 years. Just kinda forgot about it.

you thru away good junk that was only 20 years old??? please don't let anybody's wife hear about it, that could set a bad precedent.

I didn't want to push that, I've got lots of parts much older than that, many used and new.

You doomed yourself. In exactly 12 days from now (12 days, 8 hours, 13 minutes) you will NEED that part, plus anything else you threw out that day. Parts Law 312. A corollary to that law is Misplaced Tool 417: you will find a "lost" tool 3 days after you purchase the replacement. Of course Wife Law 9,875 (there are a few of them, and this ain't the last) trumps them all with its edict of: Get that crap out of my house, and no you cannot buy another one.

You doomed yourself. In exactly 12 days from now (12 days, 8 hours, 13 minutes) you will NEED that part, plus anything else you threw out that day. Parts Law 312. A corollary to that law is Misplaced Tool 417: you will find a "lost" tool 3 days after you purchase the replacement. Of course Wife Law 9,875 (there are a few of them, and this ain't the last) trumps them all with its edict of: Get that crap out of my house, and no you cannot buy another one.

I'm working on Parts Law 620 at this point. I can't remember that I already have something and end up acquiring another one. This also works for Tool Law.

I'm working on Parts Law 620 at this point. I can't remember that I already have something and end up acquiring another one. This also works for Tool Law.

Ahh, loophole to Parts Law 620 my friend: all excessive tool purchases shall be considered as backups and intelligent preparation in case of imminent tool failure. Boy Scout motto: always be prepared, and buy duplicate tools.

Ahh, ... always be prepared, and buy duplicate tools.

Hmm, is that why I have several duplicate tools? So why can't I find either tool when I know I have two of them? Why did I rent a ball joint press tool kit, when I couldn't find the one I know I have somewhere?

Hmm, is that why I have several duplicate tools? So why can't I find either tool when I know I have two of them? Why did I rent a ball joint press tool kit, when I couldn't find the one I know I have somewhere?

The nice thing about old-timers is that you're always making new friends...

The nice thing about old-timers is that you're always making new friends...

Don't you mean meeting the same people again, for the first time? There's a comic strip in the paper just like that, the old married couple, and they forget all kinds of things.

Back