Slipping trans or transfer case... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Slipping trans or transfer case...

jchopo01

Reaction score
City, State
Luther, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer Sport
So this morning I left work, the roads were wet and I was heavy on the gas spinning my tires because I am young and stupid. I have my front differential, cv axles, and driveshaft removed so it is two wheel drive. 4x4 was in auto setting. After I spun out and got going it acted like the trans was slipping bad. I put the transmission in 2nd and it drove fine unless I was heavy on the gas. Same in first. Got home and parked and reverse did not work either. Drove it two hours later to Walmart with it like that, got there and checked the transmission fluid and it was fine. Realized I forgot my debit card and got in and put it in gear and it magically worked fine since. I had turned my 4x4 on though. Any idea what this was? Slipping clutch in the TC or trans?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So this morning I left work, the roads were wet and I was heavy on the gas spinning my tires because I am young and stupid. I have my front differential, cv axles, and driveshaft removed

Are you kidding? without a driveshaft the bearings can come apart and the wheels fall off.

Are you kidding? without a driveshaft the bearings can come apart and the wheels fall off.

I am not a moron, the stubs are in the hubs and torqued right. I just did not really want to explain everything.

I am not a moron, the stubs are in the hubs and torqued right. I just did not really want to explain everything.

Ok, sorry, just don't want to give someone else reading it the wrong idea! People find these threads on the web and may pull out everything!

Hope you solve your issue!

Never really got a reply on the original issue but it is now worse. Problem is not it wont move at all. Barely moved ten feet in 4lo. Could this be the transfer case because I ran without the front driveshaft?

Back