Aviator slipping from a stop. trans or transfer case? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aviator slipping from a stop. trans or transfer case?

blacktrac07

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Sport Trac Limited
hey guys, i have an 04 Lincoln Aviator awd 4.6 with about 100k miles. Off the line my truck slips for a second or 2, then drives completely normal through all gears. Its only happens off a dead stop as in a red light or stop sign. Basically it feels like your driving a manual transmission and your letting off the clutch pedal too slowly. If i'm stopped on an incline, its even more noticeable. There is no slamming once it grabs. Its completely smooth. Any ideas if this would be trans or transfer case issue. Seems to be getting worse with time so i need to get this figured out soon. thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So you can see it slipping on the tachometer?

yea it revs up a little bit before the truck starts rolling. No dash/check engine lights on. no noises either.

Check the tranny fluid. These have a funky check valve in the pan, no dipstick. There is a special fitting that threads in and you pump fluid in, check frequently and when is starts to run back out, it's full. You'll probably need to search for better instructions though.

why in the world would they eliminate the transmission dipstick? pretty sure my 97 explorer had one. its like they want to deter you from maintaining your vehicle.. anyways i will get that checked out. thanks

just to update to this thread, I finally got my truck into the shop as they're always slammed. The bolt/valve underneath the pan was badly corroded, so they were unable to check level. They had to pull the pan, drained and refilled fluid.. Slip is now gone and drives normally again! My mechanic told me to drive it around for awhile and it acts up again, trans will need to be pulled apart. Will keep you guys updated again

well, that was short lived. ran good for an hour and now slipping again. It looks like its time for a rebuild. Its a shame since I only have about 100k on the odometer and its still shifts good. What a money pit. My old '97 5.0 Explorer held up way better than this thing.

I don't know if this helps, but it may be worth looking at:

If your 04 has the 6R60 in it by now, there were issues with the pump seal cracking, possible contamination of the solenoid contacts, and a few other issues. I'm new to this vehicle myself, so I don't want to be talking out place, but if the problem was just a cracked pump seal it would be a shame to rebuild a tranny over that.

Larry

Back