• Register Today It's free!

Smelling gas randomly

Justin Reidell

Reaction score
City, State
Guilford
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer XLT
My 2001 Ford Explorer XLT randomly within the last week or 2 I have been smelling gas while driving. I have also noticed that I have been using alot more fuel then usual what I used to be getting about a week's worth of gas is now lasting me maybe 3 days. I haven't seen nothing on the ground. The gas smell is very strong but only last for maybe 5 to 10 minutes but it doesn't happen all the time it could be a few days before you smell it again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does the XLT have those I have tried looking on napa and advance auto for them and the only one I am seeing them for is the Sport model? If it does have one where is it normally located and how do I tell if it needs to be replaced?

My 97 xlt has one and it’s above the spare tire location. I know after a lot of miles the activated charcoal goes bad or is ineffective. I’m sure there’s some threads on this subject.

Ok thanks for the info I will have to take a look

Cracked gas filler tube?

Possible but I haven't seen anything on the ground though.

Pretty sure a cracked filler tube would trigger a code. Not sure about a bad vapor canister

Because you smell it while driving, I would wonder about a fuel rail leak causing fumes being pulled in through the HVAC duct, and I'd leave it sitting idling to see if you can detect a stronger smell anywhere.

Back